VMware Cloud Community
mozzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update Manager and ESXi 5.0 to 5.1

Hi

I am trying to upgrade my host to ESXi 5.1 using Update Manager running under ESXi 5.0u1 and vCenter 5.0u1.

When I import the ESXi 5.1 VIM ISO, I get the following error...

Import ESXi image
VCENTER
The uploaded upgrade package cannot be used with
VMware vSphere Update Manager.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tman24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The proper upgrade path is to update to vCenter 5.1 first, then upgrade the ESXi hosts afterwards. This has been the same process for ages with all VMware version upgrades. Upgrading vCenter is no problem (done that). I can see and manage all the ESXi5.0U1 hosts, but would rather use Update Manager in vCenter to upgrade them to 5.1 rather than the CD route, but, there is no 'upgrade esxi 5.0 -> 5.1' VIB file available, so nothing to import into Update Manager.

It's not the end of the world, and the upgrade will still work I'm sure, but I would have thought this VIB would have been available when 5.1 became available.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
nielse
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm quite sure you'll have to update vcenter and the update manager first.

@nielsengelen - http://foonet.be - VCP4/5
0 Kudos
tman24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There doesn't currently seem to be an upgrade VIB for moving from ESXi5.0U1 to ESXi5.1. I've been looking for this to so I can upgrade via Update Manager, which is listed as a valid migration path. Are VM late releasing this? I would have thought everything should be in place before announcing the product?

0 Kudos
mozzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Precisely, where is the VIB and why would you have to update VC to 5.1 before upgrading ESXi 5.0 to 5.1, rather defeatest IMHO.

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

why would you have to update VC to 5.1 before upgrading ESXi 5.0 to 5.1

ESXi 5.1 can be managed only via vCenter 5.1 check vmware product interoperability matrix

I have tried looking for the VIB's but unsucssfull. Alternatively you could use the ISO to upgrade the ESXi to 5.1 version

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
tman24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The proper upgrade path is to update to vCenter 5.1 first, then upgrade the ESXi hosts afterwards. This has been the same process for ages with all VMware version upgrades. Upgrading vCenter is no problem (done that). I can see and manage all the ESXi5.0U1 hosts, but would rather use Update Manager in vCenter to upgrade them to 5.1 rather than the CD route, but, there is no 'upgrade esxi 5.0 -> 5.1' VIB file available, so nothing to import into Update Manager.

It's not the end of the world, and the upgrade will still work I'm sure, but I would have thought this VIB would have been available when 5.1 became available.

0 Kudos
MallocArray1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I downloaded the HP 5.1 ISO and was able to load it into Update Manager as an ESXi Package and it looks ready to upgrade.  I hope to be able to run it this weekend to have the upgrades go automatically.

0 Kudos
TonyNguyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you can let us know how it goes Malloc that would be great. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WhitsonsIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You must upgrade vCenter Server to 5.1 before you can upgrade your hosts. That's the way it's always been with minor and major releases.

Once your vCenter server is running 5.1, you can use update manager to bring your hosts up to date.

0 Kudos
MallocArray1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked fine upgrading my 5.0 from HP ISO to 5.1 HP ISO using Update manager.

I did get an error on the first attempt:

"Software or system configuration of host is incompatible.
Check scan results for details."

I rebooted the host and ran the remediation again and it upgraded successfully. I did not choose to removed 3rd party software.

billy437
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello and thanks for your post.  I am not very well versed in update manager but i can usually get the patches done with out too much problems. 

I am very intriguerd on how you did the upgrade to 5.1 using upgrade manager. 

I have upgraded my Vcenter server to the 5.1 version but it only is showing the regular patches.

You mentioned loading the patch into Upgrade Manager.  How did you do this if you don't mind me asking.  It seems like a great way of managing this but I am not sure how to execute it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JurijC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update Manager / Admin view / ESXi images / Import ESXi image

a new baseline is created, go to your server and attach the new baseline to it

Scan, remediate.

0 Kudos
tman24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you attach this baseline, and scan the ESXi5.0 host, you will see a message saying the upgrade is 'incompatible'! I believe you can ignore this though, and continue with the remmeditate process. Haven't tried it myself yet, but this is the way I'm planning to upgrade my ESXi5 hosts.

0 Kudos
MallocArray1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

JurijC has it right

Update Manager / Admin view / ESXi images / Import ESXi image

Select either the VMware ESXi 5.1 ISO image, or a customized one for your hardware vendor such as HP or EMC.  It should prompt to create a new baseline automatically.

Then go back to the Compliance view and either select your cluster or a host and scan it with Update Manager, making sure to select the new baseline.

In my experience, it first reported that I needed to reboot my host first, but this could be related to me having made other changes.

Remediate and it should put the host in maintenance mode, install the new version and return it to operation.

0 Kudos
billy437
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the post everyone.  I am almost embarrassed that I did not figure that out because it seems very simple.

A follow up question regarding the vendor specific ISO files.  I am on HP servers but I have always just downloaded the ISO files from the VMware site.  Are these vendor ISO files you speak of things you are getting from the vendor site as part of an OEM thing?

Thanks again.  I am going to upgrade the first host tonight.  Wish me luck!

0 Kudos
MallocArray1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HP and others release ISOs that contain their management agents already installed.  If you install then using the VMware image, you are basically getting the same thing, but I find it easier to start with them already going.

HP you can download from their site or there is a place on the VMware site to see other manufacuture's disks.

0 Kudos
vtwildt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I found the vib from VMWare for ESXi 5.1 but when I try and import the patches in to update manager it tells me no updates were imported.  Have you guys had any luck upgrading with vmware update manager yet?

0 Kudos
billy437
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I am on 5.1 now. A word of caution though. The update broke my ability to do VM backups with Backupexec12. I am awaiting an update from the Symantec people.

Here are the basic steps. Once you import the ISO image then you need to attached the 5.1 baseline and run the scan. This should show you the update for 5.1.

The process went very well. I did not use a HP specific ISO image as I did not see one available. All my servers are G7 DL360 servers so I think the drivers I need are there.  It would be interesting to see if the next update I can go to a hardware specific ISO.  Maybe someone has done this?

Step 1 install the update on the host while all VMs are shut down.

Step 2 install the VM Tools update on each VM. I found this to work much better doing the tools update in Vcenter not using update manager.

Step 3 update the VM using update manager.

I did have one host hang on the initial reboot. There was a message about licensing that you had to click OK to. Not sure why as it did not happen on the first one. Make sure you have console access to the host just in case.

Otherwise up for over 2 weeks and all is well.

0 Kudos
vtwildt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I can do all of that its just that I cannot find the right file to download I guess.  I downloaded these listed and nothing will import in update manager:

1.  VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0-799733.x86_64.iso

2.  VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.0.0-804276.iso

3.  VMware-ESXi-5.1.0-799733-depot.zip

None of these are working.  They won't import into update manager.  I am running a production environment, 4 Dell servers, X-IO SAN, Clustered VMWare 5.0, HA and DRM.  So I am really confused as to why its so hard for me to login to "MY VMware" and not find the right downloads!!!

HELP!

0 Kudos
billy437
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You do have to upgrade the Vcenter server to 5.1 first as this then controls the updater process.  The Vcenter upgrade is a pain in the ass as it has some new features and takes a while. 

I downloaded the VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0-799733.x86_64.iso file after the upgrade and it went well. 

0 Kudos