VMware Cloud Community
portlandjoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update Manager Error after Migrating Database to different instance.

Hey everyone,

I migrated the SQL Express databases to the named instance of SQL Standard.  It's all 2008 R2.  The three databases migrated were VCenter, VirtualManagerDB, and VSphereUpdateManager.  The domain accounts in SQL were migrated to the new box instance.

Now I am receiving this error trying to open VSphere:

Call "ServiceDirectory.QueryServiceEndpointList" for object "ServiceDirectory" on vCenter Server "192.168.123.160" failed.

Can anyone help me figure this one out?  This is a VCenter 5.0 installation on a Windows 2008R2 Server that is also running SQL Server 2008 R2 standard with an express instance and an named instance.  I've migrated from the express instance in order to overcome the 4GB limit on the express instance.

Thanks,

Joe

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Upd Mgr is using a 32 bit DSN, so you'll need to use C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe to access/view/modify the correct DSN on Win2k8

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

by any chance do you have the Routing and Remote Acess Service running on your vCenter Host OS?

0 Kudos
portlandjoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nope, it is disabled.

0 Kudos
portlandjoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I rebooted the VCenter server, and tried again to connect. (I restarted the server previously with a different result).  Now the VSphere client opens, but I get this error:  There was an error connecting to VMware vSphere Update Manager - [ip.address:443].  Database temporarily unavailable or has network problems.

So now at least we can get to the VCenter server, but it's having a hard time finding the update manager database.  I did move that database.  There wasn't a ODBC entry for that one, while there were ODBC entries for the other two.

Any ideas how I can direct VCenter to the new location for the db?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There wasn't a ODBC entry for that one, while there were ODBC entries for the other two.

you'll need to create an ODBC connection for VUM too.

0 Kudos
portlandjoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I know the exact name and settings I should use?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

a system DSN will need to be created using the SQL Native Driver.  For use the DB Name for the Name: and Description: fields.  For Server point to your SQL DB Depending on you authentication method use SQL or Windows. follow the prompts and test connection.

0 Kudos
portlandjoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay so I was wrong, it must not be ODBC.  The two OSDB connections I have are for Vcenter and VSphereUpdateManager, and both test succesfully.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Upd Mgr is using a 32 bit DSN, so you'll need to use C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe to access/view/modify the correct DSN on Win2k8

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
portlandjoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone.  This was an issue with the 32-bit ODBC missing.  Thanks so much!

0 Kudos