VMware Cloud Community
vjsb22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update Manager 4.1 (ESXi 4.1) ( '[Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>'))

Can anyone offer some assistance?....

I'm having trouble staging the patches to the ESXi hosts.  The patch definitions do download successfully.  The VUM DB is on a separate SQL server, and the DSN is set up correctly.  The vcenter server is open to the Net.

I have enabled the esxupdate log on the host which logs the below error - though I'm not sure what this log means. 

ERROR:  esxupdate: An esxupdate error exception was caught:Traceback (most recent call last):   File "/usr/sbin/esxupdate", line 257, in <module>   cmd.Run()  File "/lib/python

visor.zip/pythonroot/vmware/esx45update/cmdline.py", line 290, in Run t = Transaction.Transaction(iface=self.iface, loadpkgdb=True, *urls)  File "/lib/python25-visor.zip/pythonroot/vmware/esx45update/Transaction.py", line 162, in __init__ self.metadata.load(self.iface)  File "/lib/python25-visor.zip/pythonroot/vmware/esx45update/Metadata.py", line 171, in load  localdir = self._loadmeta(metaurl, progress)   File "/lib/python25-visor.zip/pythonroot/vmware/esx45update/Metadata.py", line 82, in _loadmeta raise errors.MetadataDownloadError(e.url, e.local, e.err) MetadataDownloadError: ('http://servername:9084/vci/hostupdates/hostupdate/csco/metadata/csco-VEM-4.1.0-metadata.zip', '/var/tmp/cache/metadata-165963693/metadata.zip', '[Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>')

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mantis76
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem,any solution for this? help appreciated :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
Mantis76
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Again,this Issue was caused by a firewall.

I found out esxi hosts wasnt reaching  update manager by tcp on port 9084.

0 Kudos
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just check whether this link to metadata is accessible form your ESX box.

Just give wget <link to the metadata.zip>

If you are not abl to download the matadata, then the firewall will be in blocking mode.

Just give esxcli network firewall set -e 1 -d 1.

This will turn on the firewall but default action will be PASS.

If you find this useful,please mark the answer as correct/helpful

Regards,
SatyS
http://myvirtuallearning.wordpress.com/