VMware Cloud Community
ign_vm
Contributor
Contributor

Update ESXi 5.5 build 2403361 update path

Dear all,

We have a host ESXi 5.5 build 2403361. We are trying to do backups with Iperius Backup, but after some errors, Iperius technical support has told us to update the VM build.

The question is, what build should we install? Technical support has not told us so we will have to go updating version by version and see in which version we can make the backup copies. 

Does anyone know which upgrade path we should follow? We are trying to update using "esxcli software update" commands but we don't know which build we can update without the VMs or host being at risk of data loss.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thread reported so moderators know it should be moved to the area for ESXi, the {code} area is for SDK matters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
version 5.5 is very old and out of support.
Build 2403361 is from 2015 and is equivalent to version 5.5 update2+patch4.
The software vendor Iperius Backup, should indicate which version and build are supported for your software version.
When we see the VMs we have two parameters: the Hardware version and the VMwareTools version.
ESXi Version            VM HW version
5.5                                    10
5.1                                      9
5.0                                     8

If the ESXi initially had version 5.0 or 5.1, maybe the HW version of the VMs was never updated.

Check what version of HW your VMs currently have and what version of VMwareTools is running on the VMs.
This can be done from the vSphere client or from the CLI.

Steps to check HW version via CLI
Enable SSH on your host
Use an SSH program to connect to your ESXi host
Type vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms to get a list of your VMs and their virtual hardware versions.
Please attach your results to this post.

Although version 5.5 is obsolete, you should at least try to get to the latest build 9919047 (2018).
Remember that when working with data, a full backup of the data is always necessary.

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/patch#search

In version 5.5 from update 1, the supported VMware Tools versions were 10.3.0, 10.2.5, 10.2.0 and lower.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
ign_vm
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for the quick response.

This is a server that has not been properly maintained since its deployment. I have checked the version of the machines as you have indicated and the result is as follows:

Guest OS                               Version 
windows8Server64Guest       vmx-08

Regarding the version to which we must update, the manufacturer has told me: "We don't know. Update the latest one as suggested". So, I think that I should upgrade to the latest version. Do you know if an update route should be followed to avoid loss of information or is it better to do the update at once? I would also be interested in knowing the best method to update. Last time we tried to update using the esxcli command.

How can I update the version of the VMs?

The problem is that these changes are to be able to make backups of the VMs. 

Regards,

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
According to the Build 2403361 you indicated your VMtools version should be 9.4.11. Make sure all your VMs have this version installed and have the status running and up to date.

If your VMtools version is lower than this you should upgrade the VMtools as a first step (remember that after upgrading the VMtools you should reboot the VM).

The update of the Hardware version in the VM by CLI must always be done with the VM turned off and with the VMtools installed and/or updated as a previous step.

How To Upgrade the Virtual Hardware using SSH (CLI):

1. Enable SSH on your host
  2. Use an SSH program to connect to your ESXi host
  3. Type vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms to get a list of your VMs and their virtual hardware versions
  4. You can use the following command to upgrade to a specific virtual hardware version (you will need to specify the VM-ID by using vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms):

vim-cmd vmsvc/upgrade [VM-ID] vmx-[HW-VERSION]

sample:   # vim-cmd vmsvc/upgrade 4 vmx-09

Check the VM Version label on the virtual machine Summary tab (vSphere client) or run the command again vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms

Power on the VM and check that everything is OK.

Try first with hardware version 9 for the VMs, as version 10 would be supported since Build 3343343 ESXi 5.5 Update 3+EP09.
If you run the VM hardware upgrade directly from the vSphere client it will be upgraded directly to version 10 very carefully.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos