VMware Cloud Community
AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update 1 Upgrade - pending vpxa update

Hi All,

Currently have 3x ESXi 4.1 hosts manageded by a vCenter 4.1 VM in a production environment.  We want to upgrade to update 1 to address a couple of issues, so I build a test env to test the upgrade.

Build 2 ESXi4 4.1 hosts (build 260247) and managed them with a vCenter 4.1 (build 258902) which mirrored my production setup.  I installed Update manager on the vCenter server and upgraded one of the hosts to update 1 (build 348481) and it worked fine.  Then I thought I should upgrade vCenter before other host as I came across some posts saying vCenter occasionally doesn't like newer host versions.

Upgrading vCenter to update 1 went fine but when I went back into the client, only my newly upgraded host connected.  The previous version host was disconnected with the error

cannot syncronzie host testesxi1.  A general system error occured: pending vpxa update

disconnected from testesxi1 in vcenter-test.  Reason: Agent upgrade

Why did this happen?  Do i need to upgrade my hosts before my vCenter install is upgraded?

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you may just need to "push" the new vpx agent to the ESXi Host again.  Can you disconnect the host from vCenter then connect it back.  This should kick off the vpxa install again.

It may have happened because your host was upgraded first and had an older vCenter agent.  As you mentioned vCenter and it's modules should always be upgraded first.  You upgrade VUM too I assume?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you may just need to "push" the new vpx agent to the ESXi Host again.  Can you disconnect the host from vCenter then connect it back.  This should kick off the vpxa install again.

It may have happened because your host was upgraded first and had an older vCenter agent.  As you mentioned vCenter and it's modules should always be upgraded first.  You upgrade VUM too I assume?

0 Kudos
AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!!  That got it.  Hit connect for the host and it connected OK, but still had the error for pending vpxa update.  Left if a few minutes and it cleared and this host came back in vcenter.

I hadn't updated VUM yet no.

Would I be best upgrading in the following order?

1. VUM
  2. vCenter Server
  3. Hosts

or should I go

1. vCenter Server
  2. VUM
  3. Hosts

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. vCenter Server
  2. VUM
  3. Hosts

This is the method you should follow... plus

4.  VMware Guest Tools

5.  Virtual Hardware

0 Kudos
AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Awesome!  Thanks Tony, appriciate your help.

Will resetup my lab and go through it again.  Appriciated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos