VMware Cloud Community
Whaler
Contributor
Contributor

Unmount/Detach a SAN Datastore on ESX 4.1

On an ESX 4.1.0 server, managed by VCenter 5.5.0, we have one particular Datastore where the underlying SAN needs to be rebooted.  The Datastore has only one VM residing on it, and I've shut that VM down.  No other servers in the cluster are connected to that LUN or SAN.

I'm thinking that I should umount or detach that LUN from that ESX server, then re-attach or re-mount after the reboot.  I have been reading KB 2004605 and vSphere 5 documentation for "Unmount VMFS or NFS Datastores".  But right clicking on the Datastore presents no Unmount option, and right-clicking on the Device presents no Detach option.

vSphere  4 ESXi Configuration Guide says to just right-click on the Datastore and choose Unmount.

Maybe if the SAN is rebooted it will "go away" and reconnect from the ESX server automatically, and just generate an alert in the meantime, which would be fine.

Any advice is appreciated, as I'm kind of stuck, not wanting to just try things like unmount commands at the CLI.   Thanks....Lyle

0 Kudos
1 Reply
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes it would reboot and then the LUN will be disconnected for that instance and might throw some alerts. But once its back a rescan should bring the LUN back online.

Can you make a copy of the VM? Do you have a backup? Can you migrate the VM off the LUN?

Even if all these things don't work i don't think any impact because of this as the VM is shutdown anyway.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos