VMware Cloud Community
RotoVegas
Contributor
Contributor

Unexpected Server Shutdown - No Purple Screen

Hi guys, we're running VMWare ESX4.1.0 (VMKernal Release Build 348481) on an HP ProLiant DL785 G5 server. When we arrived at work this morning the server had unexpectedly shutdown. There was no purple screen of death, just a complete server shutdown.

We started the server and it passed all POST tests and has been working fine since then. I've checked the vmkernal and vmkwarning log files in directory: /var/log but there's nothing to indicate what might have happened. I've also checked the ILO logs and found nothing there.

Can anyone recommend anything else we can check?

I suspect that the issue is hardware related and something's brewing and about to break. I just find it weird that the server can shutdown like that and there's no record in the logs of what happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

A powercut of some kind would be a possible explanation to what happend.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
RotoVegas
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Joel, sorry, I should have mentioned that the server is in a temperature controlled room with UPS. Both the UPS and temperature controls reported nothing unusual overnight and the other equipment in the server room is fine.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

does it happen to the rest of the server is yes (then probably it's due to the power), else if you have a support with vmware they would be able to trace the root cause of the shut down. You might be surprised i have few customers who have accidentally shut down via the vsphere client.

0 Kudos