VMware Cloud Community
randophbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Understanding CPU and Cores

Hello, I am new to ESXi so I’m trying to understand my environment and the best practices when building VM for my company. I have 8 total Nodes in the cluster with the below in each:

​CPU

Cores 28 CPUs x 2.59 GHz Processor Type Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6132 CPU @ 2.60GHz

Sockets 2

Cores per Socket 14

Logical Processors 56

​So the most I can give a heavily used VM is 14 cores and 14 CPU’s? They asked me to build a DB VM with 56 CPUs. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sort of - you could also allocate 1 vCPU with 56 vCores, or 2 vCPUs each with 28 vCores.

This is worth reading: Virtual Machine vCPU and vNUMA Rightsizing - Rules of Thumb - VMware VROOM! Blog

I would also be asking if the VM really needs 56 total vCores - many would consider a best practice of allocating the smallest number needed to achieve the desirable level of performance, rather than allocating all that is physically possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This follows on from your previous thread: Error when trying to build 64vcore

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
randophbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I get it now. So because the max i can have is 14 that means 4 sockets.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sort of - you could also allocate 1 vCPU with 56 vCores, or 2 vCPUs each with 28 vCores.

This is worth reading: Virtual Machine vCPU and vNUMA Rightsizing - Rules of Thumb - VMware VROOM! Blog

I would also be asking if the VM really needs 56 total vCores - many would consider a best practice of allocating the smallest number needed to achieve the desirable level of performance, rather than allocating all that is physically possible.

0 Kudos
randophbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok thanks. They are Server folks so all they know is "give me more" they actually first asked for 65 CPUs at first and I was getting errors originally. Thanks again for the clarification Scott.

0 Kudos