ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Understanding CPU and Cores

Posted Jul 27, 2020 03:02 PM

Hello, I am new to ESXi so I’m trying to understand my environment and the best practices when building VM for my company. I have 8 total Nodes in the cluster with the below in each:

​CPU

Cores 28 CPUs x 2.59 GHz Processor Type Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6132 CPU @ 2.60GHz

Sockets 2

Cores per Socket 14

Logical Processors 56

​So the most I can give a heavily used VM is 14 cores and 14 CPU’s? They asked me to build a DB VM with 56 CPUs. Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Understanding CPU and Cores

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 27, 2020 03:30 PM

This follows on from your previous thread: Error when trying to build 64vcore

• 3.  RE: Understanding CPU and Cores

Posted Jul 27, 2020 03:55 PM

I get it now. So because the max i can have is 14 that means 4 sockets.

• 4.  RE: Understanding CPU and Cores
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 27, 2020 04:19 PM

Sort of - you could also allocate 1 vCPU with 56 vCores, or 2 vCPUs each with 28 vCores.

This is worth reading: Virtual Machine vCPU and vNUMA Rightsizing - Rules of Thumb - VMware VROOM! Blog

I would also be asking if the VM really needs 56 total vCores - many would consider a best practice of allocating the smallest number needed to achieve the desirable level of performance, rather than allocating all that is physically possible.

• 5.  RE: Understanding CPU and Cores

Posted Jul 27, 2020 04:29 PM

ok thanks. They are Server folks so all they know is "give me more" they actually first asked for 65 CPUs at first and I was getting errors originally. Thanks again for the clarification Scott.