VMware Cloud Community
Fred_Weston
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to write image to the selected disk

I'm trying to install ESXi 4.1 on an HP BL460c G1 server. After booting the ISO and selecting the storage media (internal USB drive) on which to install, I get an error message stating that the installer is "Unable to write the image to the selected disk. This may be caused by bad sectors on the device or another hardware problem."

I have not had a chance to test the USB media to verify it works properly because I am not in the same physical location as the server, but it is brand new from HP, so I am assuming it works. I will try to test the USB media, but is there anything else I can try in the interim?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I tend to pre-install using another easily accessible server prior to moving the USB to the datacenter. You can also try install using VMware Workstation 7. Create an ESXi VM and use physical disk (physical disk points to the USB flash disk).

Forum Upgrade Notice - We will be upgrading VMware Communities systems between 10-12 December 2010. During this time, the system will be placed in READ-ONLY mode.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos