VMware Cloud Community
micfou
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to start vm?

Hi,

I am new to ESXi and have been trying to load a

previously configured VM into our ESXi server. It is loaded with Linux Suse 10 Server. I am able to run the vm

with no problems in VMware Player and Server but it will not play in

ESXi. I have tried using the convert tool to no avail. Once the files

are copied and I try to fire up the VM, I get an error stating that the

wrong disk type (scsi) is installed or that there is a missing snapshot or it

is just unable to open the file. Any thoughts on what is wrong? Thanks

for your help.

Mic

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
kegwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You used the VMware Converter?

0 Kudos
micfou
Contributor
Contributor

Yes and I get the same kind of message. I am uloading the new files now to reproduce the error to assist in the investigation.

0 Kudos
micfou
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the error message I am getting:

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

micfou,

Are you using the vCenter Converter plug-in or Converter Standalone. If Standalone, ensure you update to the latest version.

https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=converter

Also, just to be certain, you are importing the files to an ESX/i 4 system not a 3.5 host, correct?

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
micfou
Contributor
Contributor

I did use the Standalone converter and downloaded the latest version. Yes, it is an esxi 4 system and not esxi 3.5. I have a server with Esxi4 loaded on it and am using vsphere client to control the content. I have been able to load other vms that I created but for some reason this vm (which I did not create) is giving me issues.

Mic

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

micfou,

Take a look at the "SCSI Controller" once the system is moved to ESX. What controller type is selected? Is it LSI Logic Parallel?

Also, check what version the Virtual Machine says it is. You may need to upgrade it to Version 7.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
micfou
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks wpatton, I have tried both types of recommended disks, LSI Logic Parallel and LSI Logic SAS. Both produce the same result.

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

micfou,

I would try Storage vMotion on the files once they are in the ESX4 vmdk format. You could also try using "vmkfstools -i -d thin srcdisk" but that will require you enable SSH on ESXi.

I chose thin above but depending on your storage, you may want "zeroedthick" instead for your disk format.

0 Kudos