VMware Cloud Community
haberhauer
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to retireve DHCP based IP as guest on ESXi 5.1

Hi all,

I'm new in this forum and have just installed vSphere ESXi 5.1 (free version) for testing. Now I have tried to migrate one physical and two new virtual machines onto the server. the migrated system (SLED 10) is running but is not able to retrieve a DHCP IP . When I configure it staticaly everything is fine. But that's not the prefered way  in our infrastructure. What wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Gregor

0 Kudos
13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

ESXi does not prevent the guest from receiving DHCP addresses, so this is most likely a guest configuration issue. Try to boot e.g. a live CD which has DHCP configured by default to see whether this receives DHCP settings.

André

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

Hi Gregor,

Do you have the vlan configured correctly on the port(s) connecting to your ESX host? Is there an available DHCP server/scope available for that network/vlan?

When you configure a static address, does everything work ok? can you reach your default gateway, and devices on different vlans/networks?

Thanks

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
haberhauer
Contributor
Contributor

Dear André,

I Migrated the running system using VMware Converter and the original host was using DHCP so I thought that the created VM should use it to. I deleted all VNICS and recreated them. Then reconfigured the Suse 9.3 but only the static IP are working. I will try to run a LIVE CD.

0 Kudos
haberhauer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi iw123,

I'm not quiet shure wether I got you. We are not using VLAN so I did not configure the wSwitch for VLAN's. All our normals PC are using DHCP to receive there network configuration as well as some linux workstations. So DHCP Service is running fine.

Yes when using static IP's everything is fine but as said that's not the prefered way. Not shure what you mean. But when using static IP everything is OK.

I tried to install UBUNTU linux and during the installation it mentioned the the DHCP network configuration did not work properly.

Additionaly I disabled IP 6 in network configuration of ESXi but still the OS got an IP from IP 6 altough IP 6 is not used in our network.

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

Is DHCP, in general, working on this subnet?

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
haberhauer
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is, as mentioned all PC's using windows are as well as some linux workstations are using DHCP to get their IP's.

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

Same physical switch as the PC's that currently get DHCP addresses as expected?

If you are able, can you connect something else to the same switch port that is being used for your vSwitch uplink and see if it can receive a dynamic IP address?

Do you have access to administer your DHCP server?  Can you look at the logs and see if this computer's DHCP requests are actually reaching the DHCP server and are being refused for some reason?

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have see this issue before if your physical switch is not configured to use DHCP.

I am not sure what exactly was done on switch but after ny network engineer enable some setting related to DHCP it started working.

Better check your esxi switch and workstation switch and see if the confiugration are same on both switch

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
haberhauer
Contributor
Contributor

Dear all thanks for your answers,

Here are some more details about our net. I have a managed switched in my office and all PC's and all my linux workstation are working find with dhcp.

So my Switch is able to support DHCP.

I have one Net Plug which is connected to another Switch and this is also able to support DHCP since all my PC are connecting with DHCP when I use this connection. For testing Vmware vSphere ESXi I took one DELL Workstation Presicion T3500 and  installed vSphere ESXi. Since our strategy is using DHCP I first used DHCP for the ESXi Host as well and it worked for the VmWare Server when I the tried to install a first client, the client was not able to connect to the Net no DHCP adress was received. I then changed the ESXi host to static IP, but again no DHCP. I have no access to the DHCP server and could not check the log. But it worked for 3 different PCs with different operation system . So I believe the dummy is sitting in front of the server :smileygrin: or their is a incompatibilty . Any other suggestions?

Best,

Gregor

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

Can your VM ping the DHCP server and connect to port 53 over telnet?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How are the switch ports on the physical switch configured. Some managed switches come with a "desktop" configuration by default. For use with ESXi - which needs to register multiple MAC addresses (the host itself plus the VMs) on a single switch port - the port(s) may have to be re-configured as "access port"!?

André

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

The VM without getting DHCP was a converted machine? Have you checked the DHCP server if anything looks strange? Perhaps a reservation to the old MAC address / machine name?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
haberhauer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I was away for a few days.

I don't know what was changed in the net/switch configuration but I works now.

So thank's a lot for your help !

Best,

Gregor

0 Kudos