VMware Cloud Community
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to remove VMkernel default gateway

Guys,

I'm configuring some new ESX 4.1.0 servers and I'm running into an odd problem. I'm creating a new VMkernel port, as per my usual process I leave VMkernel default gateway blank. However after the port is created I notice the default gateway filed is populated. I;ve tried deletig the port group and rercreating it but it keeps happening.

Is there anyway of editing the gateway using the esxcfg command from the console (I know how to do this for the service console)?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

If I remember correctly, you can have only one default gateway for all your VMKernel ports. If you defined this default gateway once, this value is displayed on every VMKernel port configuration screen.

Have a look at the command line "esxcfg-route" to see what can be done.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

If I remember correctly, you can have only one default gateway for all your VMKernel ports. If you defined this default gateway once, this value is displayed on every VMKernel port configuration screen.

Have a look at the command line "esxcfg-route" to see what can be done.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
Exwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you actually running ESXi? Classic ESX allowed you to have different default gateways on the Service Console and VMKernel interface, but ESXi doesn't allow this.

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If you put 0.0.0.0 as the gateway, I believe it should blank it out.

blog.eeg3.net | Useful VMware-related Links

If you found this or any other post helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
EducationKing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I removed it by using the CLI. It seemed to work flawlessly. Just make sure you make a backup of the file before changing it.

vi /etc/vmware/esx.cfg

You can do a quick search by typing /gateway

Delete the IP inside of the brackets

/net/routes/kernel/gateway = "192.168.200.200" or whatever you IP is.

So when you are done, it should look something like this

# Deleted the IP address of the Gatway 1/30/2011

# who did it

/net/routes/kernel/gateway =""

:wq! to save and exit. Then, restart VMware with service mgmt-vmware restart which didn't seem to do one thing for me, so I moved the VM's off of the server, put it into maintenance mode and restarted the server. When it came back up. It was DEFINITELY now gone.:smileycool:

0 Kudos