VMware Cloud Community
godaba
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to re-register a VM

Hi Everyone,

Please suggest me to recover a VM, which is not visible in vCenter inventory and able see in a DataStore.
While trying to "Register VM" option grayed out,
having a .lck file, tried to rename it but unable to do it, seems as its powered on.
Even copy also not working for this VM.
from other host's in the cluster, tried to re-register the .vmx file, not happening.

We can able to ping the VM and SSH it, unable to find the power off.

Please assist me to recover this VM as it is very critical one.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TheSleepyAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi 

Sorry bit confused are you saying that the you can't find the VM running on your environment but you are still able to ping and SSH connect to it. 

For the lock file you can use the below link to find what host is locking it. possible its a backup process that create the lock. 

Investigating virtual machine file locks on ESXi hosts (10051) (vmware.com)

0 Kudos
godaba
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

1. Yes, VM can be reachable and able to SSH.

2. Inventory can not able to find the VM.

3. We are able to see in a _dataStore,  unable to re-register the .vmx file.

4. It's not showing  in any host, visible only in a _datastore.

0 Kudos
TheSleepyAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How many ESXi host's do you have if you go directly to the ESXi host can you see the VM. I have never seen this happen before but you could check the vpxd.log see there is an reference to the VM and why it not being inventoried in vCenter.

0 Kudos
godaba
Contributor
Contributor

Yes,

Connected to a host from the cluster and try to re-register the VM from the datastore, which is not happening too.

My intention is, if we power off / restart the VM, in case if not come online? will be in big trouble.

0 Kudos
TheSleepyAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried to connect directly to the ESXi host, not using vCenter to see if the VM showing. This could be issue with vCenter inventorying the VM from the host. 

0 Kudos
godaba
Contributor
Contributor

Yes,

connected to a host directly and tried to register the .vmx file, which is not working.

Note : no host is showing the VM, only in the datastore we are able to see the VM folder, strange and wired.

but how come it's pinging 😞 and SSH.

0 Kudos
TheSleepyAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you can't find the VM running on any host then I can't really see how it would be contactable. 

0 Kudos
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is the name of the VM on the datastore and the display different possible? Have you tried searching in vCenter for the VM's ip?

0 Kudos