VMware Cloud Community
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Unable to present additional new 1 TB as VMFS datastore to the ESXi server ?

Hi All,

Does anyone know what steps should I do to present my 1 TB Hard Disk using my eSATA connector casing to the HP DL 360 G7 server ?

I have installed the PCI Express eSATA card successfully on the server as can be seen from the below vSphere console screenshot:

SATA-Controller.PNG

but for some reason unknown, I cannot see the 1 TB hard drive after multiple Rescan, it just the same blank or nothing to present to ESXi.

here's what the HP server BIOS can see:

SATA-BIOS.PNGSATA-BIOS-Info.PNG

when I attach the eSATA connection to my Toshiba laptop, it went fine, I can transfer the data and format the drive in the eSATA casing.

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

unfortunately your controller (Host Controllers, SiI3531, SiI3132, SiI3124, SiI3114) isn't supported ...

VMware KB: Devices deprecated and unsupported in ESXi 5.5 

VMware Compatibility Guide: I/O Device Search

some people on the community was able to get this working with 5.1GA release (ESXi 5.1.0 GA, 2012-09-10,799733):

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/399476

so it seems that only way is to go back to 5.1GA release ...

you may also want to check out this post:

VMware Front Experience: How to make your unsupported SATA AHCI Controller work with ESXi 5.5

Regards,

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

unfortunately your controller (Host Controllers, SiI3531, SiI3132, SiI3124, SiI3114) isn't supported ...

VMware KB: Devices deprecated and unsupported in ESXi 5.5 

VMware Compatibility Guide: I/O Device Search

some people on the community was able to get this working with 5.1GA release (ESXi 5.1.0 GA, 2012-09-10,799733):

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/399476

so it seems that only way is to go back to 5.1GA release ...

you may also want to check out this post:

VMware Front Experience: How to make your unsupported SATA AHCI Controller work with ESXi 5.5

Regards,

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.