VMware Cloud Community
johnabraham
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to ping to gmail.com and nameserver on its VM on ESXi 5.1

Hi pal

I have configured name server on RHEL5.8 VM on ESXi5.1 and want to schedule a VM to be deployed in a schedule. I want that when my task is complete i should get a notification to my gmail account.

The nameserver entry is there in /etc/resolv.conf file and pinging from Host to all the hosts with IP address but unable to ping with name. my name server is working fine with other machines. but it is not pinging with fqdn to nameserver (RHEL) and gmail.com

ping.jpg

any suggestion would be grateful.

2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure whether I understand this correctly. Anyway, I'd suggest you start double-checking the VM's network settings like subnet mask and default gateway as well as the search domain and the name server IP addresses.

André

tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Well, you have 2 different problems here.

Pinging gmail.com shows us that you are able to resolve DNS queries, as it comes back with an IPv6 response. You then get an error message, because IPv6 isn't (properly) configured on your network. To ensure that connectivity is possible, try the following command:

~ # ping -4 gmail.com

The -4 switch will ensure that this ICMP traffic traverses over the IPv4 network rather then the IPv6 network. Your second problem is with your DNS suffixes. The reason you are able to ping host1 and not ns1 is that in the host file for the ESXi box, you will find the following entry:

<ipaddres of your ESXi host> <hostname of your ESXi host>

What happens if you ping your ns1 using the FQDN (i.e ns1.mydomain.com)? If this works, you need to add a DNS suffix to your ESXi host, as this will ensure that the host will append this suffix to a DNS query. Without this DNS suffix, you get the following error:

getaddrinfo() for "autodeploy" failed (-2: Name or service not known)

You can add the suffix via the following esxcli command:

esxcli network ip dns search add -d <myfqdn.com>

If this is indeed your problem, you should then be able to ping your ns1, or in my case, autodeploy.

~ # ping autodeploy

PING autodeploy (192.168.1.20): 56 data bytes

Hope this helps,