VMware Cloud Community
JTBarnes
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to ping or connect to new ESX 4 host

I just installed ESX 4 on a new HP BL460 G5 Blade. The install goes fine. The network connectivity test during the install, tests fine. Yet, when it finalizes the install and reboots, I am unable to access the box or ping it.

The configuration in the HP Virtual connect is identical to the configuration for my ESX 3.5 boxes.

Any ideas?

Also have message on host TSC: 40509927 cpu 0 :smileyshocked:) Init: 461: The Execute Disable/No Execute CPU frature is not enabled for this machine.

Thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rbos3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

We are using almost the same configuration as you are. Are you sure the new ESX host is in the right VLAN?

I had the problem of setting the wrong VLAN for the Service Console.

Are you also sure you setup the right physical NIC as Service Console during the setup? Try to set a different physical NIC using the console access by using the esxcfg-vswif commands.

If you need any help using those just reply.

Oh! The error of CPU Execution feature can be fixed by going into the BIOS of your blade and turning on the Execution Prevention

Hope this helps!

René Bos

--- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks! Visit my blog at http://snowvm.com ---
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Please re-verify your network settings for the NIC selected for service console.

- Did you gave correct VLAN ID? run "esxcfg-vswitch -l" and check.

- Did you entered correct gateway? run "cat /etc/sysconfig/network" and verify

- Did you gave other network configuration details correctly? Run "cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-vswif0" and check

- Did your network cables are attached with the correct port? Check uplink / physical connectivity of network.

You can remove message for Execute Disable/No Execute by enabling from your machine BIOS Settings.

Thanks.

If you find this answer helpful, Please award points.

0 Kudos