VMware Cloud Community
Narasimhan
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to ping Network

i have instaled  esxi 5.1 with NIC card  Intel PRO /1000 MT ,,,Installation was smooth and after assigning IP , unable to ping to the esxi box

any help

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JCMorrissey
Expert
Expert

Hi,

i) Can you ping out from the esx host to another machine on the same subnet?

ii) if so can you ping out to a machine in your network on a  different subnet? if so looks like you need to set the correct subnet mask/default gateway

Also, have you tried using DHCP even to test it automatically assigns an ip

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... http://johncmorrissey.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The fact that you were able to install ESXi proves that the network adapter has been detected.

To start with troubleshooting:

• check the physical connection/network cable
  • ensure the IP address/subnet mask you assigned is correct (no typos) and the physical switch port is configured properly (e.g. access mode, correct VLAN, speed/duplex...)
  • run esxtop (press 'n' for network) from the ESXi hosts shell to see whether it shows traffic on the network adapter

André

0 Kudos
Narasimhan
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i tried pinging to my Gateway,but no luck

and DHCP recevies no IP

Static IP is configuring correctly ,but unable to ping

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

If the ESXi nic connected to Switch port is configured as accessport, then dont give any value in vlan field  under configure management network, below network adapter.

if the esxi nic connected to switch is configured with trunk port then give the VLAN tag in the vlan filed, see if that works.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
Narasimhan
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi 5  Box connected to Linksys router and with same subnet another esxi 4 box is running

Unable to connect through ssh to check any thing

any other way to find out

0 Kudos
Narasimhan
Contributor
Contributor

Here is my network Adapter details

Hardware Label: N/A

MAC Address: *****

Connectiong Status : Connected

Used By: vSwitch0

0 Kudos
Narasimhan
Contributor
Contributor

When i assigned DHCP ,am getting 0.0.0.0  as IP

0 Kudos
muddin
Contributor
Contributor

Please make your all 4 NIC as bridge connections also maek sure that all NIC got same subnet IP address.

0 Kudos