VMware Cloud Community
vmESXi
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to obtain IP address - Help

I am trying to perform a hot clone, with Converter Standalone 4, of an Ubuntu box over the network to my ESXi 4 server. Everything connects and a new helper virtual machines powers up in the ESXi server.

The problem happens at this step: "Waiting for the target virtual machine to boot up as the Converter helper server"

Eventually the process fails and displays this in the status: "FAILED: unable to obtain the IP address of the hleper virtual machine."

• FACT: My network does not have a DHCP server so it cannot get a dynamic ip adddress and I cannot find how to set up a static ip address.

• GOAL: Give the helper virtual machine a static ip address so that it can continue with cloning process.

*When I look at the helper machine console it asks me to login, but I don't know the credentials. So I can't set a manual ip address through linux commands.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

a static IP is one you set. Just go into the guest os, find the network, turn off DHCP and put some values in the IP address, now you have static IP.

192.168.1.10 is a typical IP address, just make sure all of your machines are on the same network, but the last set of numbers has to be unique, 192.168.1.11, .12, .13 etc. . .

0 Kudos
vmESXi
Contributor
Contributor

RParker Im not sure if you looked at this but:

*When I look at the helper machine console it asks me to login, but I don't know the credentials. So I can't set a manual ip address through linux commands.

I know a static ip address is the one that I set, but I don't know how to log into the machine to set it manually. What are the credentials?

I didn't make the helper machine, so I don't know what the credentials are?

0 Kudos
vmESXi
Contributor
Contributor

Finally I have successfully hot cloned (converted) a physical machine into a virtual machine!!! Smiley Happy

I don't have a DHCP server so I would always get this error: "FAILED: unable to obtain the IP address of the helper virtual machine."

Solution: On the 3rd Tab (View/Edit Options) of the Conversion process you can customize your settings. Under Helper VM Network click edit and you will recieve a prompt that allows you to change from DHCP to Static ip address assignment.

Here is a helpful link with similar problems: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/219178

Also, I figured out how to log into the VM helper machine if needed. Follow the link for detailed instructions:

This page is very helpful with mostly any problems you might encounter using the Converter Standalone:

*Attached is a screenshot of the area where you can change the settings to allow static ip address assigment.

0 Kudos
JPReyes
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for share the information vmESXi

0 Kudos
kenwardc
Contributor
Contributor

DITTO! MANY thanks for the most help info, especially on the DHCP vs static IP... gosh - it's had me pulling hair out... and I have little enough left! :smileygrin:

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos