VMware Cloud Community
glenp86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to move ScratchConfig location

Hi,

I am wishing to move the .locker folder onto datastore 1 but, when I change the ScratchConfig setting under Advanced I get the error "The Value entered is not valid. Enter another value." Error Stack "Call "OptionManager.UpdateValues" for object "ha-adv-options" on ESXi "wn1esxi1" failed".

I have tried to enter the values /vmfs/volumes/4ce0ba21-c3f2f0a8-5c36-0016355b5497/.locker & /vmfs/volumes/DataStore1/.locker without success.

Does anybody have any ideas as to why I am getting this error and how to fix it?

Many Thanks,

Glen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You just need to enter the path - e.g. - /vmfs/volumes/DataStore1

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th PST.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You just need to enter the path - e.g. - /vmfs/volumes/DataStore1

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th PST.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
glenp86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's done the trick!

Thank you.

0 Kudos
NCNP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The correct answer to the issue is as follows. Dave.Mishchenko's answer works but it does not address the core problem.

The issue is that you MUST create the new scratch folder PRIOR to changing the ScratchConfig location.

So if you already had a scratch location of '.locker' folder for example, and wanted to move it to a new folder called 'scratch' you would have to create the NEW folder first by browsing the datastore, and then add the path under the advanced setting ScratchConfig as follows:

/vmfs/volumes/datastore/scratch

Then reboot to action change.

An additional note to this is that on a fresh install of 5.5.0 update1 to SD card the scratch location does not get set up correctly, and one will see the error: No scratch partition has been configured. Recommended scratch partition size is {} MiB

The way to fix this is to do as Dave.Mishchenko wrote. Just move the scratch location to the root of the datastore.

It means you'll end up with lots of new folders in the root, but this is the only way to fix this bug in 5.5.0 update 1.

example:

ScratchConfig location:    /vmfs/volumes/datastore

0 Kudos