VMware Cloud Community
OlivierTremolie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to mount NFS volume (Windows NFS)

Hi all,

I'm trying to mount NFS volume on my ESXi 4.

The application SFU for windows version 3.5 is installed and /Test was created and shared with NFS. The shoumount command show me the NFS share.

On the ESXi, I'm trying to add the NFS share. To do this, I :

1) Select "Create a datastore" and select "Network File System"

2) In server line : @IP of my windows

3) In Folder line : /Test

4) In Datastore Name line : NFS

When I click on Next then Finish, I've got this message :

"Error during the configuration of the host: Cannot open volume: /vmfs/volumes/c2cdeaec-68835c8a"

In the NFS server's log, I've got this :

05-06-2010 15:43:05 MOUNT SUCCESS 81.194.13.97 D:\Test

05-06-2010 15:43:05 UMOUNT SUCCESS 81.194.13.97 D:\Test

What must I do to mount my NFS share ?

Thank you for your help,

Olivier

Olivier ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Have you read through this? It's an older article, but it ma yhelp: http://vmblog.com/archive/2007/01/23/using-windows-based-nfs-in-vi3.aspx

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
OlivierTremolie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very interesting link. But it doesn't work Smiley Sad

Does ESXi 4 works with NFS 3.5 ? Is there a compatibility problem with this version ?

Olivier

Olivier ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Are you getting the same error?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
OlivierTremolie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I've the same error. But there is one thing icannot do : copy 2 files from ESXi to Windows. The link ask for this, but I cannot connect to my ESXi with Putty or other... Maybe it is the source of my problem.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Try using these directions to enable SSH on the ESXi host.

If you don't have any data on the NFS shares, I would suggest moving over to iSCSI. If you have just one (or two) ESX/ESXi hosts, and are already using a Windows main OS for the SAN, go with starwind's free software. If you have a system that you can wipe and start fresh on, go with Openfiler (Linux based). The advantages of Openfiler, besides also being free, is that it's not a restricted version of a product. Plus, it's Linux, so there's no monthly updates and reboots required. If you do use Openfiler, you'll want to read this article to get iSCSI working fully... I used that to present three iSCSI targets to my ESXi host, before I took the SAN offline (was just too loud for me).

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
vChr1s
Contributor
Contributor

To answer your above post, yes, ESXi4 works with NFS 3.5. First of all, with ESXi there is no service console. This is what you typically SSH into. I say typically because SSH can be enabled with a hack on ESXi but I won't get into that. Most often times I see this is when there is a security or pathing typo on the NFS side. What are you using for storage?

Chris A.

VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Chris A. Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
OlivierTremolie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your help.

I resolved the problem by creating a username mapping. Give access to a machine or MAC address isn't enough. With the name mapping, everything works fine.

Olivier

0 Kudos
Tamerz
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this exact same issue. Can you please post what you did exactly with the user mapping? Thanks.

0 Kudos