VMware Cloud Community
ashleymilne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to modify hard drive in vm through Vcenter

I have a server running Esxi4.0, today due to some electrical maintenance I had to shut it down. I shut down each vm through Vcenter and then put the server in maintenance mode and shut it down. Once the work was done, I powered it on, and since Vcenter is a vm on another box that was also off, I tried to access Esxi through the VIC, however it kept timing out, but eventually I was able to get in. Through the VIC I took the server out of maintenance mode and then attempted to modify the first hard drive on three vm's, two are running server 2008R2 (no service pack) and one was running server 2008 32bit. I was able to modify the first hard drive on the 2008 32 bit server only, the other two, when I went into modify the first hard drive, was greyed out. I thought perhaps this was because I was uing the VIC and so I powered up the server running Vcenter and attempted to the same through Vcenter, but again the drives were greyed out.

All the serves are virutal machine version 7, the disks are all provisioned at thick, I could find no difference between the 2008 32 bit vm and the other two to explain this behvaviour. Vcenter is running the requisite 4.0 verison.

Does anyone have an explanation?

Thanks

AM

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jonathanp
Expert
Expert

Can you check if the drive type is SCSI or IDE for those you are greyed out.

IDE cannot be resized and you would need to convert to SCSI...

Regards

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Also are you able to confirm that the VMs that have the drives greyed out are not running under snapshots? I would not rely on the "Snapshot Manager" within the vSphere client. Either browse the data store the VM sits on, looking for the telltale delta files or look at the VM configuration paying special attention to the Disk File names.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
ashleymilne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, they were SCSI, not IDE.

0 Kudos
ashleymilne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

While I did not confirm at the time if snapshots were present, because they use Veeam and backups had occurred the night before, I just assumed the snapshots had been deleted, I'll have to revisit this and make sure there are no shapsnots, thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Just wondering if you had any update on this for us?

Kind regards.

0 Kudos