VMware Cloud Community
JamesABrown
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install ESXi 4.1

Hello,

I'm trying to build a white box to study for my VCP. Per Simon Seagrave's recommendation, I purchased an HP ML 115 G5, burned the ESXi 4.1 iso to DVD, and booted it up. After a few questions and the EULA, the installer fails with the following message:

Installation Operation Failure
Unable to find the system image to install. This is due to the image not being mounted correctly or the CD-ROM not being supported.

Based on recommendations, I've tried the following steps:

1. Yes, I can load Windows 2003 Server on the box with no problem

2. No, the same error occurs when I tried to install ESXi 4.0

3. I bought an external USB DVD drive and put the install CD-ROM in that, but the server apparently doesn't have a "Boot to USB" option.

I'm running out of ideas. Thanks in advance.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would download the ESXi installer again. Run a checksum once downloaded. It must match the one posted on the download link. Once you burn the image do another checksum.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Burn the ESXi ISO to a CD (ESX requires a DVD, not ESXi) and try again... Depending on what you used to burn the disc, try at a lower speed and confirm the contents before booting from it.

I would also try installing to a 2-8GB USB flash drive to eliminate the onboard drive controller (or drives themselves) being the issue here. -- oops, forgot you said there's no boot from USB on that box... That just sucks donkey reproductive organs... 😮

Personally, I wouldn't have opted for such an old server to try with ESX/ESXi 4.x... Not to mention, it's completely unsupported so unless you're 100% certain that it actually contains components (critical ones) that are on the HCL (in good order for the current release) you could be on your way to an exercise in futility and frustration.

I hope you didn't spend all that much for the box.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Installation Operation Failure

>Unable to find the system image to install. This is due to the image not being mounted correctly or the CD-ROM not being supported.

ESXi 4.1 seems to have some problems with some CD-ROMs. You can try

1) another CD-ROM device

2) Install 4.0 and then upgrade to 4.1

3) Install / boot from USB

http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/ESXi_USB_install.php

http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/Boot_ESXi_from_USB_flash_drive.php

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos