VMware Cloud Community
overkillxx
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install ESXI 5.1. or 5.5.. Please help..

Hey guys,

I am fairly new with using ESXI... I am running into a problem which I really hope is easy to resolve.

When I go to install ESXI5.1 or 5.5, about 5-10 minutes into the install (After its successfully detected the HDD etc) I get the following EXACT error message:

partedUtil failed with message error: error opening
/dev/disks/t10.ATA_______ST31500341AS___________9VS281P1:

Input/Output error

Unable to get device /vmfs/devices/disks/t10.ATA________ ST31500341AS_____________9VS281P1

ST31500341AS is the HDD.  ACPI is selected in the BIOS for the applicable controller.

The motherboard I am using is a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R. Googling on the net, it seems many people have used this motherboard (Though old) with version 5.1 & had no issues like this at all.

Really would appreciate anyones help with this as I am eager to install ESXI before the weekend has ended.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashleymilne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'll take a guess, what do you have the SATA ports set to in the bios, are they set to AHCI? Have you tried a different hard drive? Is the hard drive you are trying install to connected to SATA port 0?

0 Kudos
overkillxx
Contributor
Contributor

Previous
- All SATA ports are set to AHCI

Currently attempting:

Hard disk was using the 2nd SATA port.. It is now set for SATA port 0 equivalent (Lowest SATA port on this specific motherboard)

Failing this I will try another hdd to see how that goes.

Will post the result in 10 or so minutes from now..

0 Kudos
overkillxx
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Ashley,

Just wanted to say a big thankyou for your suggestion.

I put the HDD on Sata Port 0 & it now works... Very weird why its so particular about that. Anyway, it is now installed..

Thanks again

0 Kudos
ashleymilne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glad it worked, white box motherboards with onboard SATA insist that the drive containing the OS be on SATA port 0, just the way it is.

0 Kudos