VMware Cloud Community
aalbero
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to increase disk Space

Hi there,

I'm having troubles to increase the size of a Virtual Machine that has been converted previously from a Physical machine with VMware Converter Standalone.

The matter is that all the disks are grayed out and I'm unable to set a different size, even if the virtual machine is powered off.

I've checked that no snapshots are taken to the VM, and no snapshot files were in the DataSotre.

I've tried too to delete the machine from inventory, and read it, but no Lucky.

I Think that one solution is to Clone or Convert with VMware Converter, the machine another time, and resize de disk, but this solution is time consumming and I'm unable to Shutdown these machine too long...

Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That explains it. According to the log file only the third disk is connected to the virtual SCSI controller, whereas the other two are IDE disk. In this case follow the KB article provided earlier by to convert the virtual disks to SCSI disks.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What is the guest OS and what disk controller is the VM using?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Most probably  the chance is your disks are IDE and therefore grayed out. Search google with changing controller from ide to scsi. That should resolve your problem

NagangoudaPatil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

V2V is best solution for it but it depends on controller type you selected for original VM, please share .vmx configuration for troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
aalbero
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mmm, The OS of the VM is Windows Server 2003 R2.

The Disk controles is IDE, no SCSi.

Attached is a screenshot of the VM Hardwre.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

check kb kb.vmware.com/kb/1016192‎

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Basically the default controller for Windows 2008 R2 is an "LSI Logic SAS" controller. Anyway, with the current controller you should be able to increase the virtual disk size. Please post (attach) the latest vmware.log file from the VM's folder on the datastore to a reply post to see whether it contains any hints. Click "Use Advanced Editor" in order to get the option to attach files.

André

0 Kudos
aalbero
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for all your help.

Attached are the vmx file and the las log file.

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Does the VM have any existing snapshots?  If so, you won't be able to increase the disk size. 

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That explains it. According to the log file only the third disk is connected to the virtual SCSI controller, whereas the other two are IDE disk. In this case follow the KB article provided earlier by to convert the virtual disks to SCSI disks.

André

0 Kudos