ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Unable to increase disk Space

Posted Jun 28, 2013 11:03 AM

Hi there,

I'm having troubles to increase the size of a Virtual Machine that has been converted previously from a Physical machine with VMware Converter Standalone.

The matter is that all the disks are grayed out and I'm unable to set a different size, even if the virtual machine is powered off.

I've checked that no snapshots are taken to the VM, and no snapshot files were in the DataSotre.

I've tried too to delete the machine from inventory, and read it, but no Lucky.

I Think that one solution is to Clone or Convert with VMware Converter, the machine another time, and resize de disk, but this solution is time consumming and I'm unable to Shutdown these machine too long...

Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks in advanced.

• 2.  RE: Unable to increase disk Space

Posted Jun 28, 2013 12:34 PM

What is the guest OS and what disk controller is the VM using?

• 3.  RE: Unable to increase disk Space

Posted Jun 28, 2013 02:18 PM

Most probably  the chance is your disks are IDE and therefore grayed out. Search google with changing controller from ide to scsi. That should resolve your problem

• 4.  RE: Unable to increase disk Space

Posted Jun 28, 2013 02:23 PM

V2V is best solution for it but it depends on controller type you selected for original VM, please share .vmx configuration for troubleshooting.

• 5.  RE: Unable to increase disk Space

Posted Jun 28, 2013 02:26 PM

Mmm, The OS of the VM is Windows Server 2003 R2.

The Disk controles is IDE, no SCSi.

Attached is a screenshot of the VM Hardwre.

• 6.  RE: Unable to increase disk Space

Posted Jun 28, 2013 02:29 PM

check kb kb.vmware.com/kb/1016192‎

• 7.  RE: Unable to increase disk Space

Posted Jun 28, 2013 02:55 PM

Basically the default controller for Windows 2008 R2 is an "LSI Logic SAS" controller. Anyway, with the current controller you should be able to increase the virtual disk size. Please post (attach) the latest vmware.log file from the VM's folder on the datastore to a reply post to see whether it contains any hints. Click "Use Advanced Editor" in order to get the option to attach files.

André

• 8.  RE: Unable to increase disk Space

Posted Jun 28, 2013 03:19 PM

Hi,

Thanks for all your help.

Attached are the vmx file and the las log file.

• 9.  RE: Unable to increase disk Space
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 28, 2013 04:03 PM

That explains it. According to the log file only the third disk is connected to the virtual SCSI controller, whereas the other two are IDE disk. In this case follow the KB article provided earlier by to convert the virtual disks to SCSI disks.

André

• 10.  RE: Unable to increase disk Space

Posted Jun 28, 2013 03:37 PM

Does the VM have any existing snapshots?  If so, you won't be able to increase the disk size.