VMware Cloud Community
zm1868179
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to format Drive

I have a HP Proliant Ml110 Server and i have 2 2TB SATA Hdds in it but 1 of them i an unable to format it and use it with esxi. I have tried everything under the sun to get to work. in the Web interface if i try to delete the Partition Table I receive a Cannot change Host Configuration Error. If i try with the VShpere Client i get the Same error:

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateVmfsDatastore" for object "ha-datastoresystem" on ESXi "bn-vmware1" failed.

if i ssh into the server are try to delete the partition with partutil i get this:

Error: /dev/disks/t10.ATA_____ST2000DL0032D9VT166__________________________________6YD0SHX2: unrecognised disk label

Unable to construct disk from device /vmfs/devices/disks/t10.ATA_____ST2000DL0032D9VT166__________________________________6YD0SHX2

If i try partutil setptbl <Disk name> msdos just to try to see if i can format it and put a dos partition on it it fails with the following error:

msdos

0 0 0 0

Error: Input/output error during read on /dev/disks/t10.ATA_____ST2000DL0032D9VT166__________________________________6YD0SHX2

Error: Input/output error during read on /dev/disks/t10.ATA_____ST2000DL0032D9VT166__________________________________6YD0SHX2

Error: Input/output error during write on /dev/disks/t10.ATA_____ST2000DL0032D9VT166__________________________________6YD0SHX2

WriteNewPtable: Unable to commit to disk

I have checked the Smart Status of the drive and it is not reporting an issues. I even formatted it in windows and it works fine and doesn't report any issues. I did a "clean all" in windows disk part utility to wipe the partition off of it and zero the drive but esxi still refuses to let me use this drive.

I have tried other ports on the server to make sure i didnt have a bad port but i get the same errors no matter where i put this drive does anyone have any ideas or solutions for this?

0 Kudos
0 Replies