VMware Cloud Community
DebnathS
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to download or copy the VMDK file from VSAN 6 datatstore.

Hello All,

I am facing issues while I try to download VM contents from my VSAN data-store. Every other file within the VM gets downloaded or copied except the vmdk. During the process I get the error "File Operation failed".

I am using vSphere 6.0.

Any help with this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!!

DebS

8 Replies
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Could you please copy that file any other data store and try to down load .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
DebnathS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Raj,

Thanks for your response  Smiley Happy

Its a VSAN environment and I have just a single datastore. I can copy it from one folder to the other within the datastore, but not out of the datastore. I need this vmdk to upload to a different vcenter server at a different geographical location.

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

May be you can try to to export the VM as  ovf template and deploy  to new VC / location

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
vikrantkamboj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Debs,

This is an expected behavior when the virtual machine is powered on.

To be able to copy the .vmdk file using the datastore browser, ensure that the virtual machine is powered off or shut down.

Alternatively, you can use a third party software, such as FileZilla or WinSCP, to copy the .vmdk file.

Thanks

Rahul

Getprotech

VMware training in Delhi

henbill
Contributor
Contributor

The most common choice is to have access to the data store through the VI Client. It may not seem immediately obvious, 2V0-621D VCE but to browse the store client data in ESX Server VI click on, click on the tab Summary, look on the right side at the department store Data, and double-click on one of ' the data stores.

0 Kudos
jca0
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am facing the same issue. I'm able to download .vmdk files of powered off VMs from normal datastores, but not from VSAN datastore.

Did you maybe resolve this problem somehow?

Kindest Regards,

Jakub

0 Kudos
cyberpaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I think exporting the VM as OVF should work and it is a nice solution.

Other solution might be to utilize some free backup software, this way you could do this even with the VM running. For example with VMcom Backup (https://vmcom.com) you can store the backup to any NFS or SMB share and the backup will be in readable format (you'll see sparse .vmdk files when browsing the share, you can even mount them with vmware-mount utility).

Regards, Pavel

0 Kudos
RandomPCDude
Contributor
Contributor

I faced the same issue today and I noticed that error occurred every time the server refreshed network configuration (it's obtaining network settings via DHCP). The lease time in my case was 10 minutes, so I just increased the lease time for DHCP configuration and it worked. I was able to download large VM disk file without any problems. Hope this solution helps.

0 Kudos