VMware Cloud Community
Shamal_chalil1
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to do Live migration (server to server)

Hi

We are using Vmware Vsphere Enterprise plus license and configured DRS. now vmware is not allowing live migration but once you power off the VM we are able to . please let me know the solution for fixing this issue.

Regards

Shamal

0 Kudos
5 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Shamal,

Could you have a look at the logs to see why the system refuses to migrate your VM?

Franck

0 Kudos
Shamal_chalil1
Contributor
Contributor

Whenever I am trying to Migrate live machine I used to get a warning below saying that " virtual machine should power off to do this task" . Once VM powered off it will work fine..

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

It could be a VMotion CPU Compatibility issue. Are your hosts exactly the same or do they have different components?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you please provide some more information about your environment?

Can all hosts see the same shared storage/datastores (with the same LUN-IDs)?

How dis you setup the vMotion network?

André

0 Kudos
calvinrobinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

These two hosts you want to migrate the VM between... are they in the same cluster or different clusters within the same Datacenter?  Are you trying to migrate across Datacenters?  From the way you are describing the issue, one of the requirements for vMotion may not be satisfied in the environment you are trying to perform the migration in.  Ensure the hosts you want to migrate between are both zoned to the storage containing the VM, and ensure that the host processors are compatible.

VCP4, VCP5, Cloud Infrastructure Consultant
0 Kudos