VMware Cloud Community
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Unable to consolidate snapshots in ESXi 5.1 !

Hi All,

I am unable to consolidate snapshots for a VM. When I hit the consolidate option it returns an error unable to access file <specified filename> since it is locked

The VM has 11 delta files.

I ran the command vmkfstools -D /vmfs/volumes/datastore_name/virtual_machine_name/virtual_machine_name-000001-delta.vmdk via putty and found the lock on is on dead NIC which is on this Host (ESXi 1) only. The VM is registered on ESXi 1 too.

I vmotion'd the VM to another host (ESXi 2) in the cluster and then ran the command again vmkfstools -D /vmfs/volumes/datastore_name/virtual_machine_name/virtual_machine_name-000001-delta.vmdk.

I found that one of the dead nics on ESXi 2 is holding the lock.

We do not have any backup tool like VDR/VDP that has mounted the VMs VMDK on it.

In past I have encountered issues where two ESXi hosts were having the locks on the delta files. So running /sbin/services.sh on the esxi on which the VM is not registered would resolve the issue.

I am not sure how to proceed here. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Vaibhav

0 Kudos
3 Replies
f10
Expert
Expert

Vaibhav,

What do you mean by dead nic? If you are unable to get rid of the lock by restarting the services, do you have an option to power off the VM and then consolidate?

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Dead NIC means the nic shows down and is not connected. I havent restarted the services on the Host.

This is a Production machine and getting downtime will be hell of a job

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Who or what's creating the snapshots? Did you also check whether there are locks on the other delta and/or flat files? Do you see entries in the VM's vmware*.log files which show the file that's causing the issue?

André

0 Kudos