Unable to connect to the MKS: Timeout while attempting read

Hi ESX guys, I'm suffering a new problem... Smiley Sad

First, let me describe my architecture:

Physical:

HP DL 585G1 with AMD processor 875 x 4

RAM 16GB

OS is Windows server 2008 R2

VMware workstation 7 (latest version)

I created a ESX4 server and a virtual center server within VMware workstation7, and then connect the ESX4 server via virtual center server by vSphere client.

But got a black screen and error message when power on a virtual machine in virtual center server. Please found the screenshot in attachement.

Error message is "Unable to connect to the MKS: Timeout while attempting read", I also tired import a Windows Server 2003 virtual server from VMware workstation 7 to ESX4 server, but the same problem.

Did anybody suffered the same problem? Or have any idea about that?

Is there any log I can catch to troubleshooting this kind of issue?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Wilber82
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Varunsh,

Thanks for your reply, I read the article and tried all the solution, but still got black screen.

Another clue is I cannot use the "Shutdown" / "Reset" button to control the virtual machine once it's power on, only "Suspend" / "Power On" button is working fine.

Please see the screen shot.

0 Kudos
Varunsh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Your problem is your answer.....It is asking to update Vmware tools....so update VMware tools at first place after that you will be able to shutdown or start VM from here

0 Kudos
Wilber82
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Varunsh,

The console screen is black, how can I upgrade the VMware tools for virtual server? Please advice.. thank you.

0 Kudos
Varunsh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

right click virtual machine in left pane ....you will get the option to install vm tools...from there you can send restart, shutdown command as well

0 Kudos
Wilber82
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Varunsh,

I mean the console screen of nested virtual machine is black, nothing show me, I tried your solution, the VMware tools CD was mounted, but I can not do anything due to the console screen is black, looks like it's not connect to the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I had a similar problem that could be solved with this:

I had two management interfaces for the hosts, but used the second one (Vlan200) to connect them up to the vcenter.

These second ones are in another tagged network then the first ones (vlan2) causing, that traffic went out with the vlan tag of the second network (200) through the first (vlan2 entered on the ESXi hosts console) mgmt interfaces different vlan. It was a simply routing issue...

Now I have both mgmt interfaces in the same networks as the vcenter and console is visible again. Smiley Happy

*** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful! *** vExpert 2019, VCAP-DCA,VCP,MCSE,MCITS and some more...
0 Kudos