VMware Cloud Community
pellgom29
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to connect to the MKS : Login (username/password) incorrect

Hello,

I got a serious problem because I can't connect to my VMs on VMware Sphere Client (v 6.0) via my laptop, the version of the ESXI host is 6.5. I used to connect to VMware Sphere Client with another laptop and it worked correctly (I can't use it anymore because it wasn't mine) but I can't launch my VMs now on other laptops. I got the following error on my first laptop (Windows 7) : Unable to connect to the MKS : Login (username/password) incorrect. And this error on the second laptop (Windows 10) : Unable to connect to the MKS: Could not connect to pipe \\.\vmware-authpipe within retry period

There are many forums which deals with this  problem but I still don't find the solutions.

I tried many things like :

- opening ports (443, 902 and 903) and stopping the firewall.

- changing the hosts file by putting right IP Adress and DNS name.

- checking if "Config.Defaults.security.host.ruissl" -> true. Unable to connect to the MKS: Could not connect to pipe \\.\vmware-authpipe within retry period – cp...

I also read that : The vSphere Client is no longer available starting with vSphere 6.5. (Download URLs for VMware vSphere Client (2089791) | VMware KB) So, I wonder if this is the reason of the problem but I don't think.

Apparently, it could be a problem with the DNS in most of the cases. I can ping the host by IP adress and I can connect to VMware web client with IP adress, but I can't connect to VMware web client with the name of the host and I can't ping DNS.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Login via host client using, https://x.x.x.x/ui and see if you are able to launch VMs from there. If you still get error then you can check restarting host by migrating VMs to another host.

0 Kudos
pellgom29
Contributor
Contributor

I can connect to the web client via https://x.x.x.x/ui and I am able to launch VMs from there but I want to have access to the vSphereClient. Ok, so I need to stop all VMs, to put host in mode maintenance and migrate the VMs on another host ? And if it works on the another host, I do the same operation on the inital host ?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

but I can't connect to VMware web client with the name of the host and I can't ping DNS.

If you cannot ping the DNS name and can connect to the web client with IP, but not DNS name, then it is a DNS issue

FWIW you can also just put in the IP in the VMware vSphere client instead of the DNS name.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Reinstall vSphere client and then check.

0 Kudos
pellgom29
Contributor
Contributor

When I connect to VSphere Client, I enter the IP address (login/password), I don't connect with the host name because it doesn't work. The problem is that I can't launch VMs on VSphere Client.

I flushed DNS but I still can't ping it.

0 Kudos
pellgom29
Contributor
Contributor

Reinstall vSphere client and then check.

I already did it and I got the same problem..

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I see, its showing invalid creds. First of all make hostname dns entry and check if you areble to resolve IP and hostname both. Then you can troubleshhot in different direction if it doesn't work after that.

0 Kudos