VMware Cloud Community
sean_carolan
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to connect to the MKS: Failed to connect to server 10.10.2.27:902

Server: Stand-alone ESXi 4.0.0 Build 208167

Client: vSphere Client 4.0.0 Build 208111

Problem: When I try to connect to the console on any virtual machine on this host, I get the following error:

Unable to connect to the MKS: Failed to connect to server 10.10.2.27:902

Testing with telnet and nmap reveals that port 902 is closed. How do I resolve this? There are no firewalls between the client and server, and they are on the same subnet.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
f10
Expert
Expert

Hi,

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/749640 would help resolve the issue.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

f10

VCP3,VCP4,HP UX CSA

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
sean_carolan
Contributor
Contributor

I have already looked over this KB article; this was the first thing I did. Anyway for the sake of thoroughness lets go through all the steps:

This issue can occur, if your network contains a firewall between the ESX host and the client running the workstation.

There is no firewall on the client; and the ESXi host does not come with a firewall, at least that is my understanding.

To resolve this issue and connect to the virtual machine console, Port 903 needs to be open in any firewall between the the workstation running VI Client and the ESX host. This applies even if VI Client is connected to VirtualCenter and not directly to ESX host.

The error I received was for port 902, but neither port 902 or 903 are open on the ESXi host. I verified this with both telnet and nmap.

Note: Before performing the steps in this article:

F or more information on restarting the Management agents, see Restarting the Management agents on an ESX Server (1003490) .

For more information on editing configuration files, see Editing configuration files in VMware ESX (1017022).

To resolve this issue:

Log in to the VirtualCenter Server directly through Terminal Services or a Remote KVM and attempt a connection using VI Client from this system. If this method works, the firewall is likely preventing the console from working.

We don't have a virtualcenter server. This is a stand-alone ESXi host.

Configure your firewall to allow communications on port 903 between the ESX host and the workstation running VI Client. For more information, See Testing port connectivity with Telnet (1003487).

There are no firewalls between the client and server.

If port 903 is not open or cannot be opened in your environment, enable the vmauthd proxy. This forces remote console communication to be sent on port 902 on the Service Console, instead of 903.

Note: By enabling this setting there may be degradation in the performance under heavy usage while communicating to the ESX host service console.

To enable the proxy:

Open /etc/vmware/config with a text editor.

Add this line:

vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy = "TRUE"

Run this command to restart xinetd:

service xinetd restart

This server has no service console; my understanding is this functionality was removed by VMware in this version

Verify the ESX firewall policy. For more information, see Troubleshooting the firewall policy on an ESX Server (1003634).

There is no firewall.

Verify that the ESX host and the workstation running VI Client are correctly synced to an NTP service. This is required to satisfy SSL handshaking between VI Client and ESX. For more information, see Verifying time synchronization across environment (1003736).

NTP is working fine. IT is port 902 that is not listening at all on the host.

DNS problems are a common cause of virtual machine console problems. Verify name resolution in your environment. For more information, see:

Identifying issues with and setting up name resolution on ESX Server (1003735)

Configuring name resolution for VMware VirtualCenter (1003713)

We are not using dns. I am connecting directly to the ip address.

After verifying DNS, open a command prompt on the VI Client machine and perform the following:

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

Verify /var partition is not full.

Verify that the permissions for the virtual machine's .vmx file are set correctly. To set the permissions, run the command:

chmod 755 </full/path/to/virtual machine.vmx>

If your ESX host has more than one service console configured, verify that they are not on the same network.

Check if the Service Console IP is routing traffic to the workstation running the vCenter. For more information on configuring the Service Console Gateway, see Changing the IP address, default gateway, and hostname of the Service Console in ESX (4309499).

Note: If your problem still exists after trying the steps in this article, please file a support request with VMware Support and note this KB Article ID in the problem description. For more information, see How to Submit a Support Request.

I cannot ssh to the host, this is not enabled on ESXi 4.0

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Try restarting the management agents from the Yellow Console screen. You might also restart the management network as well.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
sean_carolan
Contributor
Contributor

We will be headed to the data center to take care of that shortly. Unfortunately the machine we would run vCLI from is not accessible at the moment.

0 Kudos
sean_carolan
Contributor
Contributor

Well we restarted both the management services and the management network but no dice. Still port 902 is showing as closed on this host:

Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2010-08-19 19:12 PDT

Interesting ports on 10.10.2.27:

PORT STATE SERVICE

902/tcp closed iss-realsecure-sensor

This nmap scan was run from another host on the same subnet. I really miss having basic SSH access to the console; it was good for troubleshooting. As it stands I can't even run netstat on the vmware host to see if it thinks it is listening or not...

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Has this ever worked for you?

Port 902 is the correct port for this. You can access the console via Tech Support Mode. In the DCUI go to trouble shooting options and then you can enable local or remote tech support mode. Remote mode enables SSH access, but you won't find the exact same command set that you would at the ESX console.

If the config is fairly simple for your host you can reset the config with the DCUI. That'll reset the system configuration back to the default post install configuration. You'll just have to configure your host and re-add the VMs into inventory.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
sean_carolan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately we don't have an IP KVM or remote-console (like HP iLO or Dell DRAC) and I'm a few thousand miles away from the server.

To answer your question, yes it was working before. I helped set this server up and migrated one of the vm guests onto it. I'm not sure when it stopped working though. Since it's obviously not listening on port 902 at all; I'm assuming the management services are not running properly. Is there a way to restart the management services and check their status without console access? Can vCLI be used for this?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

In the vSphere client, select the host and then Configuration \ Security Profile. Click Properties and start the Remote Tech Support (SSH) service.

Dave

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
sean_carolan
Contributor
Contributor

There are only two daemons listed:

VMware vCenter Agent Stopped

NTP Daemon Running

Should I be seeing other daemons here?

This is a vSphere 4 Essentials license. I have another server running vsphere 4.1 enterprise and it's got several other options including:

I/O redirector

Network Login Server

lbtd

Local Tech Support

Local Security Authentication Server

NTP Daemon

VMware vCenter Agent

Remote Tech Support (SSH)

Direct Console UI

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I missed that it was ESXi 4.0 running and not 4.1. You could take a configuration backup, edit it to manually enable SSH in a configuration file and then restore the modified backup to enable SSH

Dave

0 Kudos
AnalogKid99
Contributor
Contributor

Sean

If it helps - I had this exact same issue.

Read pretty much every post I could on the topic going back over the last 2 years.

I had 3 Windows machines- all on the same network - and 2 connected fine with the ESX server - one would not (which just happens to be my main console machine

I tried everything and I mean everything(on ESX, on XP, changing browsers, security certificates, rolling back microsft security patchs, local host settings, etc - you name it|

In the end; I gave up - and just use my laptop when I want to connect.

My gut tells me it's something within my XP workstation

0 Kudos
NetBod
Contributor
Contributor

HI

Has anybody every get an answer to fix this issue.

I have same issue with 1 Host out of 9 ESXi 4.0 U2 Host. Port 902 not listening on the host any more is also affecting VCB back of Guests on this only as well, as well as console access in my case.

Only option I can see currently to fix the issue is to do a rebuild of the Host....

Thanks

Tim

0 Kudos