VMware Cloud Community
arl_15
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to connect to a VM using virtual serial connection

I have a Cisco UCS-C460 server on which I have ESXi6.0 installed. I have vCenter server 6.0 to which I have added this ESXi host. I have Cisco CSR1000v router installed on this host. I added a serial port to it to connect over network. I am unable to use telnet to connect to this host.

I have 3 other Cisco UCS servers with ESXi 6.0 installed. On all these servers I can not connect using telnet.

I have another Cisco UCS ESXi 5.5 server on which any VM allows telnet connection.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

Can you check the security profile section and look for the telnet port are open for incoming and outgoing traffic.

I think outgoing port is block for this traffic.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
arl_15
Contributor
Contributor

Thx CoolRam... Just found this KB article...

kb.vmware.com/kb/2004778

This helped resolve my issue..

Thanks Again.

0 Kudos
WeMakeTheNetWor
Contributor
Contributor

If you're on a free license, FREE license does not allow you to use the serial port connected over network I understand.

Can't find this information nowhere on VMWare website or otherwise. If you find a link states this, please reply to this.

So the solution: You need to go back to the evaluation license for valid for 60 days.

However, clearing the license from Web Client was not enough. Because it didn't go back to Eval license. It stayed kind of empty. (In 6.7 go to Host > Manage < Licensing > Remove License)

So I tried to enter the Eval licsense. Eval license is all zeroes. However, web client doesn't register the license to 00000 for some reason. It seems like it accepts it but do not register.

I had to do this:

Connect via SSH. Then:

vim-cmd vimsvc/license --show

vim-cmd vimsvc/license --set=00000-00000-00000-00000-00000
vim-cmd vimsvc/license --show

then you can connect with serial over console.

0 Kudos