VMware Cloud Community
TeddyTed
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to connect to ESXi host from via VPN

Hello all,

I’m pretty new using VMware ESXi and I’m looking for some help on a little issue.

I’d like to know how can I connect to a ESXi host using the vSphare client, connecting from home to my office location through a VPN tunnel.

Here is the scenario:
I’ve got a point to point tunnel which allows me full access to ALL network resources in the remote office.

After setting up the ESXi host and a test 2K8 server, I tried using the vSphere client to administrate the ESXi host and could not connect from home.

What I am able to do is, establish a VNC connection to a different machine on the office network, and then use the vSphere client on that machine to administrate the ESXi host -- but not directly from my home.

I’m wondering if I’m unable to connect to the host because I’m on a different subnet.

A few things to note:

1. I’ve got NO other network problems between my home network and the office.
  2. I am able to establish windows remote desktop and VNC connections to all machines in the remote office --including the test server on the ESXi host.
  3. I CANNOT ping the ESXi host from my home, but I’m able to ping the test server running on the ESXi hots.

Network Info:
Locations connected via point to point VPN

Office Segment:  192.168.1.xx  / 255.255.255.0 /192.168.1.1
ESXi host:            192.168.1.20

Home Segment:  192.168.5.xx/ 255.255.255.0/ 192.168.5.1

Hope i provided enough information.

Any help is gladly appreciated.

Regards,

TB

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

You have different networks.

Have you tried to check if ESXi can ping you?

Check which is the default gateway for your host.

Andre

Andre | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

While not directly addressing your issue I think you will find it a far more pleasant experience if you use your VPN to connect via RDP to a management workstation inside the remote network. Use the vSphere client from that management workstation.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
TeddyTed
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I would have settled with connecting to the remote machine, and then connecting to the host.

However, i thought i'd dig a bit deeper, and I quickly found the actual problem.

I checked the Virtual Switch Management Network properties and found that my subnet mask was incorrectly configured.

Changed it to 255.255.255.0 and I'm now connecting directly to the ESXi host from home using the vSphere Client.
I must have messed up on my initial configuration of the host.

- TB

subnet_config.PNG

heffneil
Contributor
Contributor

NICE! This fixed the EXACT same problem for me. Thanks! I was banging my head against the table!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos