VMware Cloud Community
JaapL
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to connect the MKS: Could not connect to pipe \\.\pipe\vmware-authdpipe within retry period

Hi all,

I 've seen other threads on this particular subject. Bare with me please.

I  have two ESXi hosts, 1st is with version 6.0.0 and the 2nd is with version 6.5.0.

I do not use vCenter.

Opening a console using vSphere client connected to host with 6.0.0 works fine.

Opening a console using vSphere client connected to host with 6.5.0 gives the error mentioned above.

My PC with vSphere client, v6.0.0, is on the same subnet as the ESXi hosts.

I tried filling the hosts file. No change.

Result being that I cannot create a VM with vSphere client on host with 6.5.0 because I cannot connect an .iso on my local host e.g.

I had to use the web client to solve this. I don't know about you but I don't like the web client. I like the single view on all networking e.g. which is separate using the web client.

Could this error have anything to do with NO support of the vSphere client on ESXi 6.5.0?

Thanx Jaap

0 Kudos
9 Replies
infra3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

It could be because of no support on vSphere client on 6.5   , have you tried the web console  .

0 Kudos
JaapL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rajesh,

I 'v used the web client to get a VM created on ESXi6.5.0 host. The console worked.

Had to download the .iso to the host. Saw no other options like CD, usb etc.

Are you certain that the error has to do with NO support of the vSphere client?

Thanx Jaap

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Ok.  if you are able to get the console one the web so there is no problem with esxi / vm .

I didn't meant this error has no support , you can access the VM console from vSphere thick client also but some times it won't work , it may be issue with your client also .

You can try below

Install Fresh Client and try

Next you may check DNS resolution form your machine , if properly working and resolving esxi host .

You can try to access host form another machine where the dns working fine .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
JaapL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Raj,

Already tried a fresh install of thick vSphere client, Same result: console access to ESXi 6.0.0 hist and error Unable to connect the MKS etc on console access on ESXi host

Because my PC with client is on the same subnet as the management IP-addresses of the ESXi hosts, 6.0.0 and 6.5.0, DNS should not be the problem. Nevertheless I 've put the names of the hosts in the hosts file of my PC with thick vSphere client. Same result.

Tries from other PC (laptop) with thick vSphere client on same subnet as the management IP-addresses of the ESXi hosts, same problem.

Greetz Jaap

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Could you please refer below and try

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=74964...

“Unable to open MKS: Internal Error” when opening virtual machine console (2116542) | VMware KB

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
Yellers
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jaap,

Any luck solving this issue? We are having the exact same issue here after upgrading from ESXi 6.0 to 6.5?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JaapL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Raj and Yellers,

No solution found.

!!! I do NOT use vCenter server !!!
ESXi hosts, v6.5.0 an 6.0.0, are on the same subnet as the PC with vSphere client.
Therefore there are, or should be, no issues with DNS or firewalls.

Actions and results:
- On  Windows 10 VM added firewall rule: opened ports 902 and 903 (should be necessary! > console)
- On Firewall, Sophos UTM, added rule: opened all IP from W10 pc with vSphere client towards Windows 10 VM
- On PC with vSphere client: added line FQDN to IP-address of Windows 10 VM
- On ESXi host and PC with vSphere client NTP is configured and active
- Telnet on ports 902 or 903 from PC with the vSphere client result in black screen, cursor blinks, Enter works, typing works

! Console of other VM on same ESXi-host, Sophos UTM home edition, on same subnet as W10 VM - works fine !
Is there a difference for accessing the console of Linux, Sophos UTM, and Windows, client or server, VM in ESXi version 6.0.0 and 6.5.0 or independent of which version?
Is KMS use for accessing Linux box console?

Firewall ESXi host:
- incoming traffic on 902 allowed for any network
- incoming traffic on 903 is not mentioned (?because vmware doesn't allow other port to be configured for this function although this restriction is the same for 902?)

Have not yet configured a W10 VM on my other still ESXi v6.0.0 host to see if it shows the same behaviour.
Reading some posts however accessing a console of a W10 VM on 6.0.0 works. Please confirm.

Greetz Jaap

0 Kudos
Yellers
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jaap,

Many thanks for the update. We are in the exact same situation as you, same subnet so no port issues. Everything was working perfectly until we upgraded to ESXi 6.5, the console was working last Friday when we had 6.0 (update 2) installed so it's clear there is an update in 6.5 that the 'old' VMware Sphere Client doesn't like.

We fixed this issue by biting the bullet and installing VSphere Server and using the Web Client to access our VMs. This now works via Web Console and the VMware Remote Console, no authdpipe issues.

I would say you will need to wait until this is patched and fixed in VSphere Client or do as we did.

Best of luck!

0 Kudos
bad1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

Same errors here with vSphere 6.0 Update 3.

0 Kudos