VMware Cloud Community
Pinaki_Bhadra
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to communicate to the host, since it is disconnected...

Hi Everyone,

I am using vmware ESXi 5.5. Couple of days before I have got some power failure issue in my vmware blade server rack and since that time one of the vcenter host (in between 3 hosts) is not responding. After disconnecting the host through vsphere web client while I am trying to connect it is showing the error as "Unable to communicate to the host, since it is disconnected." It is asking me some steps to perform but while I am putting the root user name and password it is giving me error as "there is some network issues." Please help me to get resolve this issue. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This is a tricky case.? Are you able to Login to the Host directly using the sphere client ? if so then Remove it from the vCenter and try re-adding it

If you are not able to login using the vsphere client, then It could mean your IP adress or gateway is not correct. verify the same via DCUI.

Thanks,

Avinash

0 Kudos
Pinaki_Bhadra
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Avinash,

Thanks for your reply. no I am not able to login to that host via vsphere web client since it is disconnected and earlier it was showing not responding. but while i am trying to connect to the host putting the root user id and password it was showing "cannot contact the specified host(x.x.x.x). The host may not be available on the network, a network configuration problem may exist or the management services on this host may not responding." but while viewing the settings of that particular host IP and the gateway is correctly configured. I cannot even create any virtual machine since the hosts are not in the HA mode and may be the HA is disconnected. though I am also suspecting this may be the issue of network only.

Regards,

Pinaki. 

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Pinaki,

Are you able to do a test of the management network from the DCUI.? is your Host pingable.?

Thanks,
Avinash

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

for additional, try to login from DCUI and ping connected network.  if it is pingable. try to restart managment agents by services.sh restart command.

0 Kudos
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you iLO/DRAC to the affected host? If you can, restart the management agent on the host with the command the previous poster posted. Then attempt re-adding the host to vCenter. If it doesnt work out, restart the host.

Were there any VM's running on the affected host? Are they still accessible? A restart of the host ought to fix this.

In addition, are there are any issues in the blade enclosure? What kind of blades do you have? Does blade management report any issues? Think outside the box, think of anything that could've caused this. In a blade setup, problems can be a little harder to narrow down on. We have HP blades, and one day one NIC on the management network of every host in once chassis went offline. Turned out to be a problem with Virtual Connect. So go ahead and troubleshoot every bit of your setup if restarting the management agent and/or host doesnt fix the issue.

|| VCAP5 - DCA, VCP 5 and a slew of Microsoft certs. || If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful. Thank you.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

have u physical access of this host..and are u able to check its status directly..like network setting..?

0 Kudos
gattina59
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I`ve same problem. When I install vcenter and host eesxi5.5  it works properly, but when I restartboth vcenter and esxi,

I have same error. On internet there isn`t the solution for this problem

0 Kudos