VMware Cloud Community
VmCernUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to boot from ISO image

Hi,

I have an ESXi 4.0 server on an AMD quad-core machine. I am trying to boot a win XP VM using an ISO image (which I already uploaded to the datastore on the server via the VSphere client).

In the VM settings, I modified the boot sequence to boot from CD Rom but it never boots from CD. It always gives this error:

PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxyDHCP was received

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM

Operating System not found

I have tried with options but I have not been able to boot this machine to install the VM. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Omer

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Use the option, during boot, to manually select the CD drive (which would be the ISO image)... Also, make sure the cd/dvd drive is set to "Connect at power on". If the MV is running, you can also select/check the "Connected" box. If you don't have it set to connect at power on, then it will never see the drive, so you won't be able to boot from the ISO file...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Use the option, during boot, to manually select the CD drive (which would be the ISO image)... Also, make sure the cd/dvd drive is set to "Connect at power on". If the MV is running, you can also select/check the "Connected" box. If you don't have it set to connect at power on, then it will never see the drive, so you won't be able to boot from the ISO file...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos