VMware Cloud Community
IanTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to add second nic to vSwitch HP BL460c

Hi,

I have a HP BL460c with a clean install of ESXi 5, I have tried both the VMware image and the HP image and I am having the same problem. When the server is install a default vSwitch is created and a nic is added. I am able to connect to the host fine. Now, when I try to add a second nic I lose connection to the host and have to remove the second nic from the command line. The error I get is below. I have tried adding a nic from the command line  as well.

Call "HostNetworkSystem.UpdateVirtualSwitch" for object "networkSystem" on ESXi

Thanks,

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Mouhamad
Expert
Expert

When exactly are you getting this error? When you add the vmnic or when you try to remove it from GUI?

In addition, what NIC model you are using? which firmware version ad driver version?

VCP-DCV, VCP-DT, VCAP-DCD, VSP, VTSP
0 Kudos
IanTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mouhamad,

I am getting the error when I add the nic. The error pops up after I click Finish on the Add Adapter Wizard. The adapter details are below. The first nic in the vSwitch that I am trying to add the second nic too is the same.

Nic - Broadcom Corp NetXtreme BCM57155 Gig Eth

Driver: tg3

version: 3.110h.v50.4

firmware-version: 5715s-v3.28

Cheers,

0 Kudos
harrygunter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you any other ESX Hosts in the Blade Chassis?

If so check the Virtual Connect or the switch configs on the chassis (bay's 1 and 2) if this is the first Host then have you gone through the Blade "cookbook" it will run through all the various configs for networking.

0 Kudos
IanTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

The rest of the Blades are running ESX 4 on them with no problems. This is the first ESXi 5 host. I am setting up the network the same as the other 9 hosts.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Mouhamad
Expert
Expert

What happened when you tried to add it from the host console through command line?

0 Kudos
harrygunter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have checked the  vmnic(x) mappings to the physical adaptors, and they are the same as the others? just checking that you are not adding a second adaptor in from a different bay switch.

0 Kudos
IanTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mouhamad,

I am able to add it but then lose connection with the host. I have to remove it to gain access again.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
IanTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

harrygunter,

Yip, have not changed anything from like that from when ESX4 was running okay on this host.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Mouhamad
Expert
Expert

I think I know the issue now.

I believe that your second NIC is in a different network. Please make sure it's connected to the SAME network (same VLAN or whatever your network is).

Your second NIC is discovering a different range of IPs.

Regards,

0 Kudos
harrygunter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried having the second nic as a single managment nic and see if you can connect with that one on its own?

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Check with the network drivers,firmware are same for both the nic. also cross check any hardware failure (the nic you are trying to add is working properly on not)

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
Mouhamad
Expert
Expert

Any luck?     

0 Kudos
IanTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Still no luck. I have opened a SR with VMware and we are busy working on it, I will post an update as soon as I know anything.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

0 Kudos
david615
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We use same server in our environment.  It is critical to have firmware and drivers up to date or you will run into all sort of issues with it.

http://powerclinic.blogspot.com/
0 Kudos