VMware Cloud Community
suhaimim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to add new datastore

Dear VM Supporter,

My vSphere environment: 1 vCenter Server 5.0 Foundation, 3 vSphere 4.0 Enterprise and vSphere Client 5.0

1. Refer error message in attachment:

"hostdatastoresystem.queryvmfsdatastorecreateoptions ..."

2. Already reboot ESX02 but still failed to add new datastore.

New datastore size = 3.1 TB

Need vmsupport on this matter.

Thank you,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
arturka
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

Max LUN size for VMFS is 2TB -512MB in vSphere 4 (your hosts are in version 4), If you want to add 3.1TB LUN firstly upgrade ESX hosts to version 5

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
arturka
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

Max LUN size for VMFS is 2TB -512MB in vSphere 4 (your hosts are in version 4), If you want to add 3.1TB LUN firstly upgrade ESX hosts to version 5

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

The limitation with vsphere 4 is to have  maximum size of datastore to 2TB-512MB.

refer below document of vsphere 4.0 configuraiton maximum under storage section.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_config_max.pdf

Upgrade your server vSphere4 to vsphere5, because vsphere 5 has a maximum size of datastore to 64TB.

Award points for the helpful and correct answer by clicking the below tab Smiley Happy

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
Shakaal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

The size of LUN for creating a VMFS datastore is 2TB-512Bytes in both vsphere 4 and 5. However in vsphere 5 you can have an RDM of 64TB that too in physical mode.

There is a workaround/solution for this limit(2TB-512Bytes), is that initially you create a Datstore of 2TB-512bytes, once the datstore is created you can later on extend the datastore to a size of 64TB, by using 31LUNs each of size 2TB-512Bytes.

Would also request you to go through below KB as this will give you information on the block size of the datastore which also an important thing while creating a datastore in vsphere4.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003565

Regards

Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Shakaal wrote:

Hi,

The size of LUN for creating a VMFS datastore is 2TB-512Bytes in both vsphere 4 and 5. However in vsphere 5 you can have an RDM of 64TB that too in physical mode.

FYI, In vSphere5 the maximum datastore size limit is 64TB refer the below screen shot and also the configuration max document of vsphere 5 page 4 under VMFS 5.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere5/r50/vsphere-50-configuration-maximums.pdf

0 Kudos
Shakaal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Would request you to read the complete answer /reply which i gave earlier, pinpointing others mistake is easy. I have already mentioned about size of the Datastores. And i also know the maximum config guide

Thanks & Regards

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Shakaal wrote:

Hi,

There is a workaround/solution for this limit(2TB-512Bytes), is that initially you create a Datstore of 2TB-512bytes, once the datstore is created you can later on extend the datastore to a size of 64TB, by using 31LUNs each of size 2TB-512Bytes.

To make it clear..

In vSphere 5 you can have a single VMFS5 datastore size to 64TB without adding any extends like using 31 LUNS and in RDM with physical mode 64TB.

With vSphere 4 you can have 64TB volume by adding extend as mentioned this post.

Please note there is nothing here to pinpoint mistakes, its a forum for discussion and clarification..

Thanks..

0 Kudos
Shakaal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi

Please go through the link of Amx config guide, and also through the attached file which i have uploaded it is from the same link that you are referring to. Also Would request you to eplain what is the difference between "Single VMFS Datastore of 64TB" and a Datastore of 64TB created with extents.

Regards

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Shakaal wrote:

what is the difference between "Single VMFS Datastore of 64TB" and a Datastore of 64TB created with extents.

For example.

1 single LUN with 4 TB volume size from storage array can be presented to vpshere 5.

same 4TB can be presented to vsphere4 with spliting it into multiple or 2 LUN with size 2TB - 512MB . and using extend, 2 LUN presented from storage it can be added as a 4TB volume.

The attachment is for vSphere 5..so its clearly mentioned that you can use 64TB volume with vsphere 5 and file size of 2TB-512MB. file size refers to VMDK.

I had a same discussion in forum, but couldnt get the discussion link.. in which they clearly explain about the extend option is no more required to present volume size with more than 2TB-512MB, as it can be presented directly.

'

0 Kudos
suhaimim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear All VM Supporter,

Thank you for your advise and suggestion.

I am now trying to install ESXi5.0 Enterprise (upgrading from ESX 4.1) inside one of vSphere host.

Hopefully, the datastore >2TB is able to mount.

I will update the status once the installation completed.

to be continue ...

0 Kudos
suhaimim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear All,

I just completing the installation @ migration from ESX4.1 to ESXi5.0.

Here I attach screen shot of enabling large datastore (>2TB) inside ESX.

esxi5_datastore_01.png

esxi5_datastore_02.png

In conclusion, YES, all of your advise/reply on this thread is correct!.

Thank you very very much!.

0 Kudos