VMware Cloud Community
MarkGeorge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to add host and SSH

Hi,

Experiencing two problems here:

1) I removed one of our hosts from our VCenter server and when I go to readd it to the VC, it won't let me reallocate the license. When I get to the license selection screen it show's that all our licenses have be allocated and that none are available and as a result I can't add the host in.

2) Unable to SSH into any of our ESXs. I can connect fine on the console as root but using any newly created accounts result in it cycling back to the login screen. If I try from Putty it just simply gives me access denied.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

1. Check if any licenses are still in use also the server was removed -> count licenses and hosts.

2. Go to Console and add your SSH-Users to the group "root" and you will be able to login again.

Regards

0 Kudos
MarkGeorge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Checking the licenses shows only 3 out of the 4 hosts listed but all the CPUs assigned - 8 in total.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Try restarting your vCenter Service or reboot the whole Windows box.

0 Kudos
MarkGeorge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tried it already but I'll give it another go.

0 Kudos
danjw
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Go to the licensing overview, check if the removed host still is listed there. If yes try to remove the license key it is blocking and readd it.

0 Kudos
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which version of ESX4 are you using? 4.0/4.0 U1/4.0 U2

Because there is a License issue described by Vmware in ESX 4.0 which is been corrected in U1 ............

Licensing

•A host with a single server license that fails to be added to vCenter Server is not given the option to correct licensing during a subsequent add host operation

When an ESX or ESXi host configured with a single server license is added to a licensed vCenter server, vCenter Server displays an error message explaining that the host cannot be added.

Workaround: Remove the disconnected host, and add it again with a non-single server license.

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos
danjw
Contributor
Contributor

The host isn't listed in the license admin as you can see:

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

2) Unable to SSH into any of our ESXs. I can connect fine on the console as root but using any newly created accounts result in it cycling back to the login screen. If I try from Putty it just simply gives me access denied.

we've to enable access for root user explicitly for accessing through ssh. the following KBs will help you in achieving this.

ESX 4.1:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/8375637

ESXi 4.1:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1017910

VCP3, VCP4, RHCE, EMCPA

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

0 Kudos