VMware Cloud Community
daisy09
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to add an ESXi host to vCenter Server

Hi All,

I am new vmware and trying to set up a test lab enviroment. I have installed and set up the sphere server. I cannot add the esxi host as I am using a free licence. it comes up with   License not available to perform the operation.The VMware vSphere 6 Hypervisor license for "Host" xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx does not include "vCenter agent for VMware host". Upgrade the license.

I have looked up to Kb Article and it says If an ESXi host is licensed with the free version of the license key, you cannot add it to vCenter Server. This license does not contain the VirtualCenter Agent, which is necessary to manage a host with vCenter Server. This feature remains locked as long as the host is licensed with the free version of the license key.

Is there a way to get around this? How can I test all the new features of vsphere and esxi 6 in a lab environment?

Thanks

17 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is there a way to get around this? How can I test all the new features of vsphere and esxi 6 in a lab environment?

Yes, there is.

Use your ESXi hosts and vCenter server in Evaluation Mode license, that will last for 60 days which would be sufficient to test all the features. Evaluation mode gives you feature set of Enterprise Plus equivalent license.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
daisy09
Contributor
Contributor

Hi npadmani,

Thank you for your reply. vCenter server is  running without a problem. When I select the Evaluation Mode license for esxi host , it keeps saying " Licence not available to perform the operation." I must of done something wrong when I was setting up the esxi host! .

0 Kudos
daisy09
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There,

I have just tried it again. I select the Evaluation Licence and at the bottom it says "The licence expires in 59 days"  and completes the task.  After that it comes up with a notification  "License not available to perform the operation.

The  license assigned to "Host" xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx has expired. Recommend updating the license." 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks    

0 Kudos
daisy09
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There,

I have just tried it again. I select the Evaluation Licence and at the bottom it says "The licence expires in 59 days"  and completes the task.  After that it comes up with a notification  "License not available to perform the operation.

The  license assigned to "Host" xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx has expired. Recommend updating the license."

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks   

0 Kudos
yak9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

daisy09‌, vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center says:

The evaluation period is 60 days and begins when you turn on the ESXi host. At any time during the 60-day evaluation period, you can convert from licensed mode to evaluation mode. The time available in the evaluation period is decreased by the time already used.

For example, suppose that you use an ESXi host in evaluation mode for 20 days and then assign a vSphere Standard Edition license key to the host. If you set the host back in evaluation mode, you can explore the entire set of features for the host for the remaining evaluation period of 40 days.

Looks like you have installed your ESXi host more that 60 days ago and have to reinstall

0 Kudos
daisy09
Contributor
Contributor

I will try to reinstall it again and see what happens. What I don't understand is it says "The licence expires in 59 days" and then doesn't add the host. Please see the attachments

esxi6licence.PNGesxi6licence2.PNGesxi6licence3.PNG.

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

And what is vCenter server license validity, is it still valid or expired.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
daisy09
Contributor
Contributor

It is still valid.           vsphere.PNG

0 Kudos
daisy09
Contributor
Contributor

Guys,

I have reinstalled esxi 6 and I have also tried it with 5.5. However I still get the same error message. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Well_Oops
Contributor
Contributor

Try setting the time on the Host's BIOS.

0 Kudos
daisy09
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much Well_Oops. It has fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
Pa1Kalyan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Daisy,

i am facing the same issue, what you have did to resolve the issue? kinldy help me.

Best Regards,

Reddy

+91-9999714397

0 Kudos
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I had this error today. Here was the solution for me:

https://vm.knutsson.it/2018/02/cannot-add-esxi-host-to-vcenter/

0 Kudos
GeirBerg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

With vcsa Version 6.7.0.40000 Build 14368061, I got "License not available to perform the operationt" and a few other variations, trying to add host using html5 based client. However, using the "deprecated" flash based client, I had no problem whatsoever adding a new esxi 6.7 host to an existing cluster.   

0 Kudos
awasebiz
Contributor
Contributor

You cannot join an ESXi host on the free licenses to a vCenter.

However, you can install a valid ESXi license (such as the one you are using in the mentioned vCenter) on the standalone host, and then join the host to said vCenter.

0 Kudos
jdavid4it2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @daisy09  - Have you tried implementing the approach suggested by @awasebiz ?

I was having the same similar issue with an expired (evaluation mode) license on my ESXi Host, and after renewing the Eval license, my vCenter did not wanted to re-connect my ESXi Host. It kept giving me this error when trying to reconnect: "Reconnect host failed! Cannot complete the license assignment operation "vCenter agent for VMware host" The Evaluation Mode license on "Host" esxi1.jdfvmshop.local cannot be changed". 

The easy solution that resolved my disconnect and re-connect issue was to:

1. Login to the vCenter Server.
  2. Right-click your Disconnected Host and remove from inventory.
  3. Using the vCenter menu and Workflow (wizard), go to Actions --> Add New Host.
  4. The Add workflow will give you the option to add the Evaluation License to your previously disconnected ESXi Host.

That's it.

PLEASE NOTE: I am using a Nested environment, so pay attention and assess your own environment to eliminate any impacts on your VM's and Clusters (if available).

IMG1_Unable to add an ESXi host to vCenter Server.pngIMG2_Unable to add an ESXi host to vCenter Server.png

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
jdavid4it2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @daisy09  - Have you tried implementing the approach suggested by awasebi ?

I was having the same similar issue with an expired (evaluation mode) license on my ESXi Host, and after renewing the Eval license, my vCenter did not wanted to re-connect my ESXi Host. It kept giving me this error when trying to reconnect: "Reconnect host failed! Cannot complete the license assignment operation "vCenter agent for VMware host" The Evaluation Mode license on "Host" esxi1.jdfvmshop.local cannot be changed". 

The easy solution that resolved my disconnect and re-connect issue was to:

1. Login to the vCenter Server.
  2. Right-click your Disconnected Host and remove from inventory.
  3. Using the vCenter menu and Workflow (wizard), go to Actions --> Add New Host.
  4. The Add workflow will give you the option to add the Evaluation License to your previously disconnected ESXi Host.

That's it.

PLEASE NOTE: I am using a Nested environment, so pay attention and assess your own environment to eliminate any impacts on your VM's and Clusters (if available).

IMG1_Unable to add an ESXi host to vCenter Server.pngIMG2_Unable to add an ESXi host to vCenter Server.png

0 Kudos