VMware Cloud Community
timofcourse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to access shares on new Win2012R2 VMs

We've recently setup 2 new Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard guests and we're not able to access Windows shares created on them.

I did find this VMware KB, but the Windows KB it refers to only appears to apply to Windows Server 2012 (non-R2). I've verified the audit object access GPO is not enabled on this server and Ive even disabled HotAdd/HotPlug capability as also mentioned as a work around in that article.

Has anyone else run into this? Better yet, anyone else have suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
timofcourse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ah crud. Sorry for the wasted post all... the Windows firewall was on. Once I added an exception all worked as it should.

Sorry!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do you see the share names when you try to access the server's UNC name (i.e. \\servername.yourdomain.local) from the server itself, and/or from another system?

André

timofcourse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I do when accessing from the server itself, but not from any other server.

0 Kudos
timofcourse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Because Im sure the questions will come up, I should also mention Im able to ping and RDP into this server over the network. I've also tried access via \\IP_Address, but get the same error. I'm also using the same AD account when remoting into the machine and accessing the share locally using the hostname that when trying from other resources and not able to access.

Let me know if there's any other info I can provide.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
timofcourse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ah crud. Sorry for the wasted post all... the Windows firewall was on. Once I added an exception all worked as it should.

Sorry!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please allow me some more questions:

• When you say "... and we're not able to access Windows shares ...". What exactly does this mean? Don't you get a response at all, or does the credential dialog show up, ...
  • Is it the same when you try to access the shares from the other Windows 2012 R2 server?
  • What OS is installed on the clients?

André

PS: Just saw your reply with the firewall. Thanks for providing the solution.