VMware Cloud Community
oRAirwolf2
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to access ESXi web interface after updating to ESXi 6.7.0 Update 3 (Build 14320388)

I have 4 servers that I have updated to ESXi 6.7.0 Update 3 (Build 14320388) and on all 4 servers, the web interface now shows a timeout error when I attempt to login:

I can access the page with no problems.  I start by logging in:

1.png

I then get an error saying "Connection to ESXi host timed out:"

2.png

If I try to refresh the page after this, I just get the VMware logo:

3.png

Sometimes the page will load, but I see this in the title of the tab and I am not able to do anything inside the page:

4.png

I am experiencing this problem on two Dell R620 servers that are hosted in a data center and two Dell R420 servers that I have at home.  They are not on the same network, yet they are both exhibiting the same exact issue.  I have tried Chrome, Chrome Incognito, Microsoft Edge, and Opera.  If I reboot the servers, I am able to temporarily access the web interface, but I eventually start getting these timeouts again.  I am not able to SSH to the servers because SSH gets disabled on each reboot.  I have also found that if I connect to the management console via iDRAC, I can press F2 and get prompted for credentials, but after accepting the credentials, it just hangs and is no longer responsive to keyboard commands:

5.png

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this?  The fact that it is happening on 4 different servers on 2 different networks leads me to believe there is a larger problem here and not something localized to my installs.

35 Replies
rsobota
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have same problem on Dell PE R640, after install 6.7 U3. Vms unstable during migration, maintenance etc. I must roll-back to the previous build.

0 Kudos
vfenners
Contributor
Contributor

Here the same with Dell PowerEdge R730xd. 8 hosts in a cluster that don't react anymore or react very badly.

The hosts were installed with DellEMC Customized Image of VMware ESXi 6.7 U2 DellEMC Version: A02, Build# 13981272 and were upgraded with VUM to VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 14320388.

I have the same log entries as ScottWilsonRSA and Archparks2

All host are have the latest BIOS updates installed and all components are listed in the latest HCL

0 Kudos
JWolberg82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can confirm the same behavior as well in addition to the web interface problems.  vMotions were unstable and would eventually complete but I had to wait for them to timeout and finish in the background.

0 Kudos
MartinS2
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same problem on PowerEdge R630 after Upgrading to ESXi 6.7 Update3

0 Kudos
Techie01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you please check , removing dcism vib from the server avoid in hitting this issue.

esxcli software vib remove -n dcism .

Please make sure you are trying this on a test host.

MartinS2
Contributor
Contributor

Could somebody please confirm that removing dcism vib from the server helps to solve this problem as Techie01​ mentioned?
--> esxcli software vib remove -n dcism
Unfortunatelly I have no test system and I do not want to try it on my production system.

Can this VIB be added again at later time or will it be automatically be added if I update the ESXi with a new ISO later?

0 Kudos
vfenners
Contributor
Contributor

Stopping the webm service has solved the problem for me. When Dell releases a supported version of the OpenManage module, you can turn it on again and see if it works again.

How to disable or enable the CIM agent on the ESX/ESXi host (1025757)

MartinS2
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, this fixed the problem for now.

Hopefully Dell will provide a new OpenManage module soon as this seems to break all Dell ESXi Hosts with OpenManage agent.

ScottWilsonRSA
Contributor
Contributor

I have performed the following on 2 of my affected hosts:

esxcli software vib remove --vibname=OpenManage

This un-installed the following VIB: Dell_bootbank_OpenManage_9.3.0.ESXi670-3465

After rebooting, both the web interface to the host as well as all VM migrations on/off the host are now working as expected.

DHN_
Contributor
Contributor

Had the OpenManage vib installed on the 1 host we experienced problems with. Can also confirm that everything seems to be working like it should after removing this.

0 Kudos
ScottWilsonRSA
Contributor
Contributor

My final solution: You don't need to disable/remove dcism on your hosts, you just need to remove the vib OpenManage using the following:

esxcli software vib remove --vibname=OpenManage

I logged a SR with Dell iro this issue, and their response is that the current version of OpenMange (9.3) is only tested/supported to ESXi 6.7 U1. They did not test it on 6.7 U2 (although it did not appear to cause us any hassles) as development of OpenMange 9.4 had already been started when ESXi 6.7 U2 was released.

OpenManage 9.4 is currently scheduled to be out around Dec 2019.

trafsta1
Contributor
Contributor

Dec 2019 release date :smileyshocked: Crazy...

Removed OpenManage using the command you specified and the problem went away. Thank you!

0 Kudos
VM_Admin11
Contributor
Contributor

"OpenMange 9.4 had already been started when ESXi 6.7 U2 was released."

Will OpenManage 9.4 support 6.7 U2 and U3 or only U2 ?

We are planing to purchase Open Manage and if Support for U3 will require

9.5 and another development cicle it wouldnt be a good investment.

0 Kudos
ScottWilsonRSA
Contributor
Contributor

My understanding is that OpenManger 9.4 will support certainly support version ESXi 6.7.0 U3 and older, as well (as would normally be the case) at least all releases of ESXi6.5 and probably one or two older releases as well.

0 Kudos
ktdt00
Contributor
Contributor

I had the exact same symptoms as the OP only I'm running 6.7U3 on a DIY home lab setup rather than a Dell. My non-Dell system wasn't running DCISM or OpenManage but following the suggestion in an earlier post I disabled WBEM which appears to have fixed the issue.

esxcli system wbem set --enable false followed by /etc/init.d/sfcbd-watchdog start

Huge Thank You to the OP and all the contributors to this thread! I had about 5 hours into this problem when this thread finally popped up in a google search.

0 Kudos
MartinS2
Contributor
Contributor

Dell has released a new OMSA Version 9.3.1 (OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-9.3.1-3684.VIB-ESX67i_A00.zip) in October which solved the problem.

Dell EMC OpenManage Server Administrator vSphere Installation Bundle (VIB) for ESXi 6.7 U2 and U3, v...

Regards

Martin

0 Kudos