VMware Cloud Community
cookie9123
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to access ESXi 5.5.0 server using vSphere client, SSH or server console

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have a little experience on ESXi. I have an issue where my customer has a ESXi 5.5.0 server but is unable to access it.

We have tried accessing with the client, but it comes up with the error. vSphere Client could not connect to "192.168.30.240" An unknown connection error occurred (the request failed because of a connection failure. (unable to connect to the remote server)).

I'm able to ping the IP address and telnet to port 902 where I get the error "220 VMware Authentication Daemon Version 1.10: SSL Required, ServerDaemonProtocol:SOAP, MKSDisplayProtocol:VNC , VMXARGS supported, NFCSSL supported"

I get the above when I telnet into it.

ESXi shell and SSH is enabled but we are unable to login with root, and we do not know if there is any other account other than Root on the system.

Running a network test has it failing on the resolve host name.

I've reset the management agents and restarted the management network.

I'm unable to access via web browser

I don't think any VM's are running as I can't ping them.

I can get into the customization menu so don't think its a username/password issue but would like to know if this can be confirmed. Would a re-install fix the issue or is there anything else that I can do to find the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Lee

0 Kudos
2 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For ESXi 5.5, if you cannot connect to the ESXi via IP address/FQDN then good way to check if the management agents status first.

Secondary network issues or you can try to connect from vCenter machine itself as in general, most of the environments vcenter has the network communication with ESXi hosts.

Third, you cannot access 5.5 from browser. It only takes you to a page where you can download, if you are unable to access that page, then host communication and agents needs to be verified.

As ssh is not working, check from DCUI shell if physical access is available.

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
cookie9123
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. The suggestion that you gave had already been tried and checked, as per my post.

This has now been resolved though by re-installing the ESXi host.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Lee

0 Kudos