VMware Cloud Community
ahsan28
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to Install VMware 4.x on Dell PE2950

I have tried installing different version of ESXi Server (3.5, 4, 4-Update-1, 4-Update-2, 4.1, 4.1-Update-1, Dell Customized versions) on two diffterent Dell PE2950 servers with multiple CD/DVD sources (from VMware and Dell Website) using Dell Installation CD 6.3 and without Dell Installation CD but every time I get the following error.

Installation Operation Failed!

The installation operation has encountered a fatal error:

Unable to write image to the seleceted Disk. This may be caused by bad sectors on the device or another hardware problem.

The following system information will assist the VMware Support team with your problem. Please record this information before proceeding.

System Information:

Manufacturer : Dell Inc.

Model : PowerEdge 2950

Service Tag : XXXXXXX

BIOS Rev : Dell Inc.

My current hardware details are as follows:

Dell PowerEdge 2950 III

Processor Intel 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad Core.

Dell PERC 6/i Integrated RAID Controller

2 x 400 GB SAS HDD in Raid-1

4 GB of RAM

Can anyone please suggest any solution or help.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Based on this thread, it is advisable to upgrade the firmware to the latest version:  http://communities.vmware.com/message/1174727

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Usuallly it's worthwhile to check the md5sum of the download against the value posted on VMware's site but it's not likely that you would have so many images download incorrectly.  Have you updated the firmware for the controller and the BIOS of the host?    If you have an existing OS install you might wipe that prior to the install of ESXi.

0 Kudos
ahsan28
Contributor
Contributor

I have upgraded the BIOS and firmwares to the latest version available on Dell website, checked the checksum values. They are correct. Formated the disks. Regenarated and re initilized the RAID but still no luck.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

http://www.techhead.co.uk/installing-vmware-esxi-4-0-on-a-usb-memory-stick-the-official-way shows how to install ESXi on a USB drive. If this works then you will know that it has something to do with the raid controller, disks and etc.

0 Kudos
ahsan28
Contributor
Contributor

Tried installing on USB but still the same error. No Luck.

0 Kudos
ahsan28
Contributor
Contributor

Finally, I got the solution. After lot of hit and trial, I am able to install Dell Costomized version on ESXi 4.0-Update-1 on both the Dell servers. Anything Beyond this version does not seem to work with these servers at the moment.

0 Kudos