VMware Cloud Community
BTFrank
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to Enable EVC

Hello -

I have a site using two ESXi 5.1 (fully patched) hosts and vCenter. I recently added the second host which is a Dell R410.

Host 1 -

Dell PowerEdge R620

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643

Host 2 -

Dell PowerEdge R410

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620

According to compatibility guides I've found online, there should be no problems with the 2600 series and 5600 series processors. I have another site using the same Dell R620 E5-2643 and a Dell R510 E5640 with EVC Intel Westmere Generation enabled.

When I try enabling EVC, I get the error saying -

The host cannot be admitted to the cluster's current Enhanced vMotion Compabitility mode. Powered-on or suspended virtual machines on the host may be using CPU features hidden by that mode. HOST1-esxi1.

It'll say that for all EVC modes except Sandy Bridge, then it says HOST2-esxi1 is the problem child.

They're in a cluster and I've tried deleting the cluster, enabling EVC first, then re-adding host... but the HOST1 will not re-add as it noticed that EVC is enabled. Any ideas?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Another thing you can try (in a maintenance window) is to shutdown all the VM's, then enable EVC and start everything up again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Have you tried this option given in the KB:

For Intel® "Westmere" EVC Mode, some server OEMs might require you to enable the AES instructions in the BIOS.

VMware KB: Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) processor support

Also, have a look at this thread about the famous SandyBridge and WestMere battle Smiley Happy

EVC - Westmere Vs Sandybridge

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

check this link ..have u done like this ..? or missing something.

VMware KB: Enabling EVC on a cluster when vCenter Server is running in a virtual machine

Yours, Phillips

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Another thing you can try (in a maintenance window) is to shutdown all the VM's, then enable EVC and start everything up again.

0 Kudos
William22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

I am sure tomtom901 suggestion will work 98% .

please let us know if any ./p>

"Whoever is happy will make others happy too."
0 Kudos