VMware Cloud Community
TimCanning668
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to Edit or delete a VMKernel NIC

Hi,

I have an ESXi 7.0.3 server with seven VM's hosted.  Each of these VM's has NIC's in one or more VLAN.  These all connect to one Standard Switch, grouped using port groups with VLAN ID configured.  The default Management Network also connects to the same Standard Switch.  There are four physical interfaces to this Standard Switch, teamed.  The VMK0 default management network is in VLAN 275.

I have a separate physical backup server, and to reduce the traffic congestion on the main network interfaces configured a second VMKernel NIC, in its own port group and connected to a second Standard Switch in turn connected to two further physical interfaces.  This is VLAN 274.

This was working fine, however earlier I was trying to join the ESXi host to a Domain.  The Domain Controller is one of the hosted VM's, Win Server 2019.  It is in VLAN 272, so I added a third VMKernel NIC and added that to the same Port Group for VLAN 272.  That didn't allow me join the Host to the Domain, so I accessed the DCUI and changed the default management network IP and VLAN to be in VLAN 272 also.  That seemed to make the needed changed but several times also seemed to set the management network to the wrong VLAN despite me entering something else.

The upshot is I can't now connect the second VMKernel NIC at all, I can't edit it or delete it. I fear that the messing about in the DCUI has corrupted something and I now may need to do something command line to root out corrupt files...  This is an area I'm not familiar with at all.

Sorry for the long story!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As your post needs moving to the area for ESXi, I have reported it to the moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
TimCanning668
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My error, I apologise!

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

When ever "multihome" is the answer than your question was wrong.  Normally there is no need for giving a device multiple nics in to different networks for the same job. If so those devices are Router/Firewalls or when speaking about Apps its something like a needed "heartbeat" network.

About your problem... within DCUI there is a Management Repair/Reset network option. Be sure that youre connected trough ILO,iDRAC or sitting in front of the console when try this option.

The right solution for getting access for subnet A (VLAN275) to subnet B(272) it to send the packets to the GW and this will route into subnet B and not adding a leg into the Host to bypass every phys. firewall.  In an ideal world the firewall only let specify ports reachable for those devices.

To get it working again you need to change the VLAN for the VMK0 back to 275 or give the ESXi an (temporarily) IP Address from your VLAN 272.

The old cmd functions are "esxcfg-vmknic" "and esxcfg-vswitch". I have trouble to remember the new "esxcli" style.

Regards,
Joerg

TimCanning668
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the reply, and I agree entirely with the statements that 'multihome' is poor/wrong - sadly the network design is not my choice or under my control.  That belongs to another team I'm not in.

I will raise a new question, as I think the preamble information I have given is masking my actual ask, again apologies.  The issue I'm facing is an inability to create delete or modify the VMKernel NIC's I have created after the attempts to make changes.

I will investigate the 'Management Repair/Reset network' option - thank you for pointing that out I wasn't aware of that.

I have added Kudos for both replies, much appreciated 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos