VMware Cloud Community
tk330
Contributor
Contributor

Ultrium LTO 4 1760 SAS drive and VMware ESXi 4.1.0.

I am trying to setup an HP Ultrium 1760 LTO4 SAS drive on an HP DL370 G6  server.  I wish to present the tape drive to a virtual machine in ESXi 4.1.0  using a P212/ZM SAS controller.  The tape drive is the only device on this  controller.

ESXi detects the P212 controller and tape drive under Storage Controllers  (vmhba4:C0:T0:L0).

I am able to add the SCSI Device in VMware (node: 1:0) and Windows 2003 R2  x64 detects the tape drive and lists it under Tape Drives as a Hewlett Packard  LTO Ultrium-4 drive.

When I goto Device Manager and right-click the drive and goto Properties,  Device Manager immediately locks and goes to "Not Responding".  Other Windows  functions are working but Device Manager does not return.

Also, when I run HP Tape Tools, it begins the detecting phase and locks as  well and does not detect the drive.

I have tried new drivers for the 1760 drive.  I also have another 1760  on-hand that I installed and had the same lockups.

My backup software (Novastor) will not detect the drive.

I've also updated the Firmware on the P212/ZM to version 5.06 which is the  newest.  I also installed the tape drive to a Windows 2008 R2 server on the same  ESXi server and had the same lockups.

I have followed the correct VMware KB on installing tape drives and  have tried setting various SCSI Nodes with no luck.  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search​.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=10164...

We have used the P212 and VMware on other setups with no issues.

I tried add the P212 as a VMDirectPath in ESXi and experienced locks at boot  and blue screen error.

Any ideas? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

VMware does not officicially support SAS attached tape drives. Support is limited to parallel SCSI. That doesn't mean it won't work just no support from VMware. You may have direct support from the manufacturer. Here is a KB article related to Fujitsu SAS tape that you might use to help. http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1031497 If this is an HP server you may try them as well. If you search the forums here you will find many references and there may useful information to try.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos