VMware Cloud Community
Bedolla
Contributor
Contributor

Udate from native LSI_MR3 to lsi_mr3 version 7.710.07.00-1OEM

Hello community i have an issue with a VMware server  V 6.7.0 U3 over a Dell R640 and Dell support suggest that i need to install LSI_MR3 V7.710.07.00-OEM, but they say that in order to to install i need to deactivate native driver lsi_mr3 version 7.708.07.00-3vmw and them install the new one.

My question is if it´s possible upgrade directly from 7.08.07-3 to 7.710.07.00-OEM or deactivate native driver is  mantory to update dis driver?

I hope you can help me, and many thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Bedolla ,

We have been able to install and update drivers in such scenarios in the past. There may have been issues or concerns related to direct upgrade to a particular version as to why Dell would have recommended disabling inbox driver and then installing the OEM driver. I could not find any issues in specific.

To disable the driver, you can refer Enabling and Disabling Native Drivers in ESXi 

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
Bedolla
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @ashilkrishnan

Dell recomended this accition because I have an issue on the server that stoped and need a reboot complete server to work again, and over iDrac log they seen that after raid patrol task over server the issue happen.

And some issue that solved this driver is:

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
===========================
Defects (2)

SCGCQ02033302 Resolves issue in which non-RAID drives may not be listed during OS installation or in vSphere.
SCGCQ02189085 Fixed an issue that could cause an IO timeout and controller reset under certain workloads.

Do you know if is rigth first disable de native driver and them make the installation of new driver?

I´m apreciate your help becuase my server have 2 virtual machines for telephony services and is very importan to my organization.

Thanks in advanced

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Bedolla ,

Ideally it should not have an issue.

Is the ESXi and the VMs running on the local storage  ?

Do we have a SAN storage where you can migrate these VMs as a precautionary measure ?

0 Kudos
Bedolla
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @

No, unfortunatly i don´t have SAN to migrate this VM´s 

I´m was done deativate native driver procedure but after that datastore is lost and i can´t transfer the new driver to install and activate

Do you know if is possible recovery or reactivate native driver again?

Thanks in advanced

0 Kudos